Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reebok Sr. "Special Edition" Goalie Pants Review

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Reebok Sr. "Special Edition" Goalie Pants Review

    I purchased these pants a month ago to replace an outdated pair of McKenney GPT 855 Pro pants that were due for retirement.




    I've played in these pants now for appox 30 hours and felt i had enough detail and information for a review.

    Out of the box the pants were stiff as expected but with approx. 5 hours of playing times they arent noticable, which atleast for me is what i want in my equipment. The protection and mobility were as I expected and are very good for a Sr. pant.

    There are two areas that I have struggled with in these pants.



    First, the internal belt system. Let me start off by prefacing that I do not like wearing a shirt under my C/A and that i do not tuck my C/A into my pants.

    The internal belt sysytem has two clips in the front of the pants that i can only imagine are for adjusting where the belt sits, although I havent noticed a difference wherever they are positioned.



    The buckles rub the entire area of my abdomin throughout the game and after everything is just bright red. During the game it is noticable and annoying at times. I am going to try to wear an underarmour shirt under my C/A to see if this aleviates the issue. I have tried tucking in my C/A but that doesnt help the rubbing at all.

    The other issue I had was with the legs. I wore a pair of PAW knee pads that attached to the inside of my McKenney pants with ties. The Reebok pants do not have anything built into the pant that allows you to attach the knee guards. I tried to wear them without attaching them but the inside of the pant is pretty tight and the thigh wraps just got in the way. The pant does have a removable thigh pad but that didnt help the issue much.

    I ended up doing this to my knee pads to make them work and just strap the knee lock through the knee guards to keep them in place. as i use it more for an additional knee stack.



    Overall I would rate the pants a 5/10 mainly because of the internal belt system. If I am able to find a remedy for the situation I would give these pants a good 8/10 because they offer great protection and mobility.

    ***Edit : Rating them 9/10 7 months later with the belt fix in place****
    Last edited by willyd42; 07-26-2010, 12:30 PM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by willyd42 View Post
    I purchased these pants a month ago to replace an outdated pair of McKenney GPT 855 Pro pants that were due for retirement.




    I've played in these pants now for appox 30 hours and felt i had enough detail and information for a review.

    Out of the box the pants were stiff as expected but with approx. 5 hours of playing times they arent noticable, which atleast for me is what i want in my equipment. The protection and mobility were as I expected and are very good for a Sr. pant.

    There are two areas that I have struggled with in these pants.



    First, the internal belt system. Let me start off by prefacing that I do not like wearing a shirt under my C/A and that i do not tuck my C/A into my pants.

    The internal belt sysytem has two clips in the front of the pants that i can only imagine are for adjusting where the belt sits, although I havent noticed a difference wherever they are positioned.



    The buckles rub the entire area of my abdomin throughout the game and after everything is just bright red. During the game it is noticable and annoying at times. I am going to try to wear an underarmour shirt under my C/A to see if this aleviates the issue. I have tried tucking in my C/A but that doesnt help the rubbing at all.

    The other issue I had was with the legs. I wore a pair of PAW knee pads that attached to the inside of my McKenney pants with ties. The Reebok pants do not have anything built into the pant that allows you to attach the knee guards. I tried to wear them without attaching them but the inside of the pant is pretty tight and the thigh wraps just got in the way. The pant does have a removable thigh pad but that didnt help the issue much.

    I ended up doing this to my knee pads to make them work and just strap the knee lock through the knee guards to keep them in place. as i use it more for an additional knee stack.



    Overall I would rate the pants a 5/10 mainly because of the internal belt system. If I am able to find a remedy for the situation I would give these pants a good 8/10 because they offer great protection and mobility.
    I had the same problem with the belt, I cut it out and voila, magic stuff started to happen...

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't have the pants...

      But your buckle rubbing problem looks like pretty easy to fix.... just remove the buckle, and sew the 2 ends of the nylon strap/webbing together... 5 min job max. Or use velco or whatever.

      Comment


      • #4
        I have the same pants and similar thoughts. The internal belt is nice but the idea of the buckles to adjust the internal belt height doesn't make sense. I keep trying to see if I can find another purpose for those. I've tried crossing them and clipping them in to the opposite side buckle. This seems to make some sense because then they actually serve a purpose. It tends to tighten the top flap of the pelvic padding of the pants more so than the lacing. I've done this once or twice but it doesn't seem that they were intended for this so I went back to the normal set up.

        I think it would have made more sense if they just sowed them in to the inside of the pant instead of the current set up.

        I haven't had any issues with the buckles rubbing my stomach, but I do wear under armor so that might be why.

        Also the ipod pouch in the pants is stupid. I feel like they put that onto the pants so they can charge so more cash for the pants and claim it as another feature.

        Aside from that weird internal belt configuration I've been really happy with these pants. I came from McKenny's as well and the extra padding in the groin is nice and they tend to sit tighter on my legs than the McKennys so thats nice as well.

        Comment


        • #5
          is it possible those straps are for connecting with the C&A, my reebok stuff has two loops on the C&A around that distance apart..... ill get some pics tommorow if you like. If that is the reason i may have to get those shorts!

          Comment


          • #6
            So I think I've come up with a remedy. I stopped by Autozone today and picked up a .85 cent car drying towel and created sleeves to cover the buckles. I dont want to hack these pants up quite yet as they are still fairly new. Well these covers seem to work great. I've been wearing them around and havent felt the buckles at all. Even my daughter can attest to that. Oh and dont make fun of the sewing job, the sewing machine is currently out of commission so my mother in law is creating some nice ones.



            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by chrisshortys View Post
              is it possible those straps are for connecting with the C&A, my reebok stuff has two loops on the C&A around that distance apart..... ill get some pics tommorow if you like. If that is the reason i may have to get those shorts!
              That is precisely what those buckles are made for.

              Comment


              • #8
                I used to have a problem with the buckles, I was able to just rotate the fabric around so the buckles are touching the pants and not me. Seemed to solve my problem.
                My are the premier model, looks like yours are stitched in so may be difficult to do so.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Not to steal this thread, but is there ever an issue with mixing brands of pants and the C/A as far as hookups go? Or do they all pretty much attach to one another?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Has anybody tried these pants with the new Reebok CA? Does this internal belt work? I have that CA and the loops on it are way to high to use with my 620 pants when I did try to tuck it in (just to test).
                    Thanks.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Tell you what if willyd42 sends me his shorts over to the UK ill try it for you
                      Unfortunatly we have no decent shops in England and i have been ordering from a shop in sweeden but i don't really want to risk it incase it doesn't work... have to wait untill my canada trip next year i guess!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Horizon38 View Post
                        I had the same problem with the belt, I cut it out and voila, magic stuff started to happen...
                        Really? You quoted the whole thing when you could've just done ^^ and then you said something that only took up one line?!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          you went way to far with the belt buckles. the first week or so i played in mine the buckles did the same thing but if u loosen the buckles up all the way the belt blocks the buckle from making contact with your skin.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I have these pants, and the internal belt is great, but the clips that were covered up is a great idea. Just loosening them, that doesn't work. It just makes the pants fall down for people who don't use suspenders.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Ingram View Post
                              I have these pants, and the internal belt is great, but the clips that were covered up is a great idea. Just loosening them, that doesn't work. It just makes the pants fall down for people who don't use suspenders.
                              I'm good for a great idea once every decade. Time for me to sit back and take it easy until 2020.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X