X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Itech RX7 pads

Here is my review for my set of Itech Re-flex RX7s, 33+1. So I decided to splurge a little and try a different set of pads and couldn't resists the clearance price of $199 from goalie monkey.

Initial impression out of the box:

Super light pad! materials look good. Definitely tell its not a pro level pad, but still good quality over all. Leather straps and nylon top buckles are on the cheaper side, but thats about it. Leg channel is quite open and not sure if I totally feel comfortable with the knee set up. I find it a little too thin. Also the 11" vs 12" is totally noticeable. They look really tiny compared to my old Velo2s

First ice game:
    The pads were fairly soft right out of the box so I decided to use them the same day. I had the straps fairly loose the first game. I didn't like how that felt. Since the leg channel is fairly open, I felt like my shins were all over the place. I couldn't really feel where I was landing. Also the top of the pads would get caught on my pants and on each other. I still won the game 7-4. It also didn't help that I was breaking in new Graf skates that were not sharp at all. Like I said earlier, these pads are super light! I found myself kicking out my legs to quickly and almost over extended my legs a few times. The do close my 5 hole nicely for being new pads. I don't think my vaughn close as well as these.

My second game I tighten the straps a lot more and ran the boot strap through the heel of the cowling and that made a big difference. I felt more secure in the pads. Tied that game 5-5

Here's where it gets a little rough for the pads. I didn't feel like I slid as well... The ice was pretty bad but I would be in my bfly and push off and go nowhere. The knee landing is pretty thin and I got a big bruise on the inside of my knee. I didn't land on the ice, but the padding is so thin and stiff that it didn't make it easy. Also since it has an open leg channel, my leg was closer to the ice down in the bfly and it kinda felt like I was playing in player shin pads. I didin't feel stable at all.

Summary:

Overall can't beat the price of $199 from GM right now. Good quality senior level pad, but definitely not pro level. Super light and fairly soft right out of the box. Has an open leg channel that will take some time to get used to if you're using Vaughns now. Knee landing is a little thin and could use more padding. Leather straps feel cheap. I give them 7/10 overall (but thats because I'm coming from a pro level pad...) I don't think I'll keep these for long and probably as I want to try try new Bauer X:60/X:55... I'm coming from a set of Vaugh Velocity2 35" pads in 12" width. I'm More of your hybrid type of goalie.

Onto pictures:

Last edited by knvs; 11-18-2009, 01:33 PM.

Sweet review! Was thinking of picking up these as well.

What's your ATK and height?

Comment

I've been meaning to do a review of my RX7s, so I may as well include it here. If that's not okay, just let me know and I'll move it into it's own thread.

Background:
      I bought a new set of RX7s off of eBay in August. I am a new goalie, and this is my first year playing goal regularly. I am 6', 175 lbs, 18 ATK and am wearing 35" pads. I have the RX7 glove, blocker, and pads. Since buying the set I've played about 20 games and 10 practices/scrimmages with them. Everything is stock with the thigh boards still attached. I have tied a lace between the top of the pads and the thigh guard to stop them getting caught in my pants. I wear the straps loose and play a predominantly butterfly style.

PADS: 7.5/10
      Comfort: 7/10
      No major issues with the comfort of the pad. I've only partially missed the landing gear one time. The landing gear does sometimes feel a little thin. I would prefer a slightly thicker and cushier landing gear. The knee-lock strap is a little long for me, I think I will eventually get it shortened so I can do them up a bit tighter. I like the uncluttered leg channel.

Performance: 8/10
      I love how these pads butterfly. When I go down the pads rotate perfectly into butterfly position. I haven't had problems with them rotating back into position, except when I was having problems with the thigh boards. I find that there is often a few inch hole in my 5-hole in the butterfly. I think that the thigh boards may be interfering with this a bit. It is also a technique issue. Pads do a nice job of dampening rebounds. The pads seal the ice perfectly in the butterfly position. Slide pretty good. Pads feel really nice and light. Overall, great performance so far.

Durability: 6/10
      These are a senior level pad. All of the workmanship seems to be high quality. The design is slightly different between the RX7 and RX9. The RX7 seems to have more exposed stitching on the sliding surfaces of the pads. The RX7 also has some nylon around the boot on the sliding edge. These 2 items have led to a bit of fraying and wear on the sliding face of the pads. No other durability issues. Bolts holding in toe ties came loose initially and I had to replace one set. Make sure they are tight and/or use some locktite.

Appearance: 9/10
      I don't care too much about appearance. The black and white looks nice. Not too many puck marks showing up so far.

BLOCKER: 9/10
      To me, a blocker is a blocker. I do like this blocker though. Haven't had any problems with stingers through the blocker. Finger protection has worked so far. The protection on the pinky finger interfered with my finger grasping the stick at first. After a few games it loosened up a bit and now it is not a problem. No wear problems so far. Palm feels nice. I like the curve of the blocker.

GLOVE: 7/10
      Well, a glove is one of the most personal pieces of equipment for a goalie. This glove was pretty flexible out of the box. At first I was having lots of problems with pop-outs. Since then, I spent lots of time opening and closing the glove. Now it opens a bit wider and closes quicker. Way less pop-outs now. I enjoy the action of the glove. I find it not great for puck handling in the traditional position, but that may be as an ex-player, the goalie gloves always feel clumsy for shooting. I've gotten quite a few stingers in the fingers, and haven't been facing great shooters. That may be due to catching the puck with the palm too much, but I also sometimes wish I had more palm protection. Especially in warm-ups. The protection on the back of the palm is a bit too thin compared to the pro glove as well. I knocked a bank shot from behind the net out of the air with the back of my hand. My fingers were pretty bruised after that. If there was more hacking in my league I am sure I would notice this more. The armadillo style protection seems to leave vulnerable gaps on the back of your hand. I do enjoy how soft and easy to close this glove is. I am very confident using it in games. I do wish it had a bit more protection though, but this may be pretty standard for senior gloves. So far it is holding up really well. It is definitely showing more puck marks and wear than the rest of the gear though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaping5Hole View Post
        Sweet review! Was thinking of picking up these as well.

What's your ATK and height?
        ATK is 16.5 pads are 33+1. My vaughns are 35" Hopefully these don't shrink too much after they're broken in. I'm about 5'10"

cadam: don't mind sharing review space

Comment

I took a tip from another member here and cut the pinky finger protection away from the actual glove. It was really in the way. The pad is still there and it drop down enough when you close your fist, but now it doesnt pull my pinky away from the rest of my fingers like it was doing before. Just pull out the threads with a seam ripper, easy as pie.

I also noticed that the glove on the blocker seems to have shrunk over the last 2 months. My fingers are pushing the ends now and they weren't when I first got it. Maybe this is just in my mind and I was blind to the fact when the gear was all shiny and new.

On the catcher I havent had any stingers in the palm, but a couple of times (like maybe once a month) I'll catch one more or less where my fingers are and it hurts like a bitch. I've also had one shot hit the bottom cuff and opened up the velcro exposing the entire back of my hand. I'm working on a more secure closure there. I find the inside hand strap doesnt get as tight as I would like it and need to modify this a bit as well.

Comment

I really like my RX-7's. I like them so much, I want the RX-9's!!! I'll echo most of the comments so far about the pads. The knee stacks were lacking, so I bought a couple of pairs of extra stacks and put them in. When I find frayed stitching or wear on the pads, I would apply shoe goo to the area. I basically have shoo goo on every surface that might touch the ice. I took out the thigh boards cause they kept getting caught under the pants and also removed that little "wing" attachment on the thighrise. I found it useless and it interfered with the pads flexing. I had a small issue with closing the 5-hole, but after storing the pads upside down and getting the thighrise curved in... No longer an issue. The blocker is great, no issues there, and the I like the trapper. I wish there was more padding in the palm, but it closes really nicely. The material is definitely not top notch (Vaughn's senior level stuff is nicer), but it does nicely for me since I just play rec leagues and pick-ups. Plus, the price was great since I got all the pieces on clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by knvs View Post
              ATK is 16.5 pads are 33+1. My vaughns are 35" Hopefully these don't shrink too much after they're broken in. I'm about 5'10"

cadam: don't mind sharing review space

I noticed on the GM site it only says 33". Do all these pads basically come with a +1?

Comment

Originally posted by dazbubble77 View Post
                When I find frayed stitching or wear on the pads, I would apply shoe goo to the area. I basically have shoo goo on every surface that might touch the ice.
                Does the shoe goo affect the sliding at all? Do you have it on the nylon bit as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Gaping5Hole View Post
                  I noticed on the GM site it only says 33". Do all these pads basically come with a +1?
                  adjustable knee lock.

Comment

Originally posted by cadam View Post
                    Does the shoe goo affect the sliding at all? Do you have it on the nylon bit as well?
                    Even though the shoe goo is rubbery, I don't think it affects the sliding. What affects the sliding ability more is the graphics on the knee wings, especially when the crease gets really scuffed up. I have shoe goo on the entire bottom edge edge near the toe, on the stitching on the knee wing and calf wing and parts of the front surface near the knee. On the nylon calf wrap, I actually wrapped the bottom edge with small strips of clear hockey tape. That area started to fray really quickly and I did the tape job before I got the idea of using shoe goo from someone in here. When the tape wears out, I will probably apply the shoe goo there too.

Comment

shoe goo??? i have an old pair of RBK 5k's that ive been using and some of the seams on the outer roll are starting to pop. any suggestions other than taking it to a leather worker/ cobbler?

Comment

Epoxy resin would coat the seams and thread and still slide well too.

Comment

Feels as it would probably be a good idea to put my review here too.
                          I made my first outing in my pads wednesday night.
                          Background:
                          I bought these rx7 to replace my 35" X-pulse 6.0. Those pads were crap to say the least. I had the adjustable knee lock put to where the pads were more of a 33"+2 than a 35" pad. But the thighrise and the 12" wide pads turned out to be more of a hassle than an advantage. Sure I was closing the 5-hole easily, but movement was so clunky that I ended up having a less acrobatic style of play because of the lack of mobility. I usually like playing a more hybrid type of play. So the clearance price from Goaliemonkey turned out to be a life saver for me!
                          Once I got the pads, I put them side by side to find out that there isn't any difference in size as my pads had shrunk to the level of being equal to a 33" pad!

Comfort: 9/10
                          My 6.0 had such a stiff landing gear that the rx7 was a welcomed change. The feeling in these is great! I'm a goalie who likes is pads tight on my legs with slack only in the upper straps. And these seem to work wonders for me.

Performance: 8/10
                          The 11" width is great for mobility, I find that I get up quicker with these than I did before. I do find that they under rotate a little when in the butterfly and it feels like I felt back in the days when I had Vaughn 1400 pads and I landed on the inside knee of the pads instead of the knee wings. it's probably just a strap setup thing though so I don't think it's a big deal.
                          The biggest issue I found was sliding, the graphic on the knee wing slows you down alot because of the layered jenpro.

Durability: 8/10
                          The Rx7 is the highest level pads I've had in the last 6 years. The last comparable level pads I had were Vaughn 1400, which was from another era...
                          I've read plenty on these pads and the major flaw on these that I found were with the stitching on the knee and calf. To remedy this I took a Crazy glue pen and put a couple of drops in each of the stitches on the knee and calf so that they are now harder and will last longer. I did that with the 6.0s and it helped a lot for durability. Other than that, since I only used them once, there is nothing else I can comment on for now.

Appearance: 9/10
                          I always loved that graphic since it came out, so I'm really happy to finally have those pads. The only itch is that they don't perfectly match my gloves that are white based, but hey! at least it's the same colors!
                          Too bad that I can't have this color scheme on my caracter in nhl 10!

here are some pics of the pads

Comment

If you loosen the straps I think your rotation into butterfly will improve with these pads. I strap mine really loose, except for the knee lock, and they rotate perfectly 99% of the time.

Comment

Might as well chip in...

Bought my RX-7 set awhile ago. I have have plenty of puck marks. A few things.

1. Leg pads were flexible right out of the gate. Felt really nice.

2. I had the same issues with the stitching on the knee wings fraying. After it was literally gone, and I could pull the layers of fabric back, I used a nylon/leather/plastic type of glue that has sealed them up perfectly.

3. At first, I bought the 35's, but I kept missing the landing gear...swapped to 37's. No problems, better five hole coverage to boot. I am only 5'10 too...so I thought this was odd. It took some time to adjust to the longer pad.

4. No problems with the gloves yet. I would agree that stingers will occur with shots that are palmed.

5. Buckles and straps have been good.

7. I have relatively small hands, but to me, the blocker wrist strap seemed too close to my palm. That is, it feels like I cannot get my entire hand in the glove when dry. Wetting the leather has helped with this, as I had to stretch the material a bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X