• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protechsport Mask

This is an out-of-the-box review

The story

I have had two masks before ordering this one;
    Both where always a bit big for my head but I thought it was always gonna be like that. Latelly I have been jugling between them in both of my leagues, playing with one on tuesdays and the other on thursdays.

A Van Veldon which I had for the last 12 years

And an Itech 2000, this one I owned for the last 6 years

In november I was shoping around and found an almost mint condition Protechsport mask a Sports exchange in montreal, the price was 250, it was all fiberglass. So thanks to the marvellous community that is this board, I got the adress an got in contact with Michel. I asked Him if it was a good deal, describing the mask. Turns out it was one of is older model "Belfour Mold masks", he told me; ask if you can deal for 200$, if he says no, don't take it, it ain't worth it and you can get one made for you for 300$"

No need to tell you it didn't work, so after talking to Michel a bit more over numerous emails, I decided to order one of is masks. I met him on the second week of december. We checked out a Lalime mold he had ready for delivery, we took all the mesurments and went with that one.
    About a month later I aranged another meeting to change my choice, I felt that the Lalime mold was a bit big for my head, so we went with an Aebischer mold.

So here it is!

The Fit

OH MY GOD! this thing was meant for me, looks like me and Aebi have something in common. I hope I don't strugle as much as he does... Even Michel told me as I tryed it for the first time that it looked as close to a pro fit as you can get, with the 1/4 foam all around, almost.
    It really is a match made in heaven.

Performance

As I still have not played with it yet, I can't say. But since in does have a lifetime waranty, it can't be bad!

Look

So far it's white, but it does match perfectly with the rest of my equipment.
    I have White, blue and black Rbk 5ks.

I should have a play review next week after I tryed it a couple times!

Thank you all for reading my first review
    Last edited by Bishnou; 03-23-2007, 08:18 PM.

Awesome! nice review.. i would order the same model. it looks great!

Comment

White is the Uber hotness in goalie masks!! very nice, Is it me or does that mask resemble the Roy mold?! Looks like Abi was rubbed the right way by St Patrick! Very nice mask,
      Love the blue cage on there!

BTW coming from your prvious two masks, you went from having a Yugo to a Rolls Royce!! Big difference!!
      Last edited by Keeps33; 03-24-2007, 12:27 AM.

Comment

is the inside of your mask pro finish or stock?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
          is the inside of your mask pro finish or stock?
          No pro finish on this mask for 2 reasons, you can see it on one picture and also, Pro finish is only available on full kevlar masks. This mask is fiberglass only.

Comment

Originally posted by chakal View Post
            No pro finish on this mask for 2 reasons, you can see it on one picture and also, Pro finish is only available on full kevlar masks. This mask is fiberglass only.

I have the pro-finish in my full fiberglass mask !!

IMO the Abi shell its best one , looks like the good old Lefebvre mask

Comment

Originally posted by woody 59 View Post
              I have the pro-finish in my full fiberglass mask !!

IMO the Abi shell its best one , looks like the good old Lefebvre mask
              So you paid more for the pro finish than for the mask itself??? Why didn't you went with full kevlar without the pro finish instead?

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys.

No it's not pro-finish, but I could have had it for 250$ more... but it could have been done.

BTW In the begining I was gonna go for blue with blue cage, sure am glad I changed my mind

Comment

So you paid more for the pro finish than for the mask itself??? Why didn't you went with full kevlar without the pro finish instead?
                  Simply because i play in a beer league not the NHL and i can handle the weight of a full fiber and all the shell have a life time garanty . All the other mask that i've used have the pro finish inside .

Comment

Its like buying a cadillac and not getting A/C lol. jk.

Comment

I won't do a new thread for my little review. My mask can be seen here:
                      Library
                      nCw-Hockey
                      Site Officiel de Chakal: 10e anniversaire

I took off the top clips to replace them by loops to avoid straps to hide the paintjob. The fit is great since it's padded for my face. Also to give more surface for the paintjob, Michel made slightly smaller holes. The holes are 3/4" instead of regular 1". Michel told me the 3/4" holes were used by Patrick Roy. I used the mask yesterday for the first time and it wasn't hotter at all.

Now I just need to find the perfect straps adjustment.

Comment

Yo Chakal, out that in the Official Protechsport thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Keeps33 View Post
                          White is the Uber hotness in goalie masks!! very nice, Is it me or does that mask resemble the Roy mold?! Looks like Abi was rubbed the right way by St Patrick!
                          I would let Roy rub ME the right way! (as long as I got his skillz too)

Comment

WHAT?! no chin cup! I can't imagine playing without one. Does the mask tend to slip down a little bit or is the backplate so tight that it doesn't happen?

wow I had no clue there were masks without those, just goes to show my inattentiveness to detail

Comment

WHAT?! no chin cup! I can't imagine playing without one. Does the mask tend to slip down a little bit or is the backplate so tight that it doesn't happen?
                              Thats called a chin sling. I beleive the padding is more "off-the-mask" than the usual foam that is on the chin, acting kinda like a chin cup. Loads of people prefer a sling to a cup.

Comment

Working...
                              X