Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mission Helium Lites

First review: bear with me

Background:

This is my second set of pads, (third if you count the foam franklin's I used for floor hockey) and the only reason I bought them, is I got a little extra cash from my boss, and instead of paying bills like I should've, I replaced my Tour Bio 1000's that have worn out after two years. I used those exclusively for ice, and besides the funny looks from other goalies, they served me well for $100 new. I initially was going to just replace my pads with a set of RBK seniors, but the $200 price on these left money to pick up the elite glove and blocker to match. I would have liked to get the elite pads, but that would have blown my wad right there, and face it... how many shots have you felt through your leg pads... I've played pick-up against AHL, ECHL guys with my tours, and never felt a thing... Durability is the only reason I should have bought the elites IMHO.

No couch... but is the chair ugly enough?

Appearance / Build:

Right out of the box these things look really sharp for the price. The descriptions read that the cover is a "weave material" but it just seems like heavy weight vinyl with the weave molded in somehow. No worries about that. The stitching is another matter though, especially behind the pad... While I was flexing the boot to break it in, it seemed like some of the stitching was just screaming to let loose... that plus the break on the boot of one pad didn't follow where it was supposed to.

Underside stitching (bad pic)

Weird boot break

All in all, great looking pads, but workmanship worthy of 10 cent an hour labor...

Strapping is all nylon with the exception of the boot strap, and this is really my biggest complaint as far as materials... the strap barely fits through the buckle, let alone with room to thread it back through... It looks as though the guys in china had a liquid lunch before cutting the straps too... they're a little wavy... and the holes aren't quite big enough for the pin. I'm thinking with time and wear this will work itself out though.

The first mod I did was to remove the thigh boards, and lace in the thigh guard from the tours, plus one of the knee stacks from my old pads. The lites ship with only one stack, and while the stack plus the knee wing are pretty thick, I still wanted to start with two and back down if it's two much.

Performance:

I fully intended on getting a few pickup sessions in with these before a game... but my impatient nature took over, and I belted them on for my beer league game the same night I got 'em. My tours were 32's, and these are 34's, so I expected some difference, but I was pretty shocked once I was wearing them. The knee lock was only about 1/2 to an inch higher than what I was used to, but the thigh rise damn near eclipsed the thigh pad on my pants, they were a ton taller from knee to thigh than what I was used to, and the knee and calf wings seemed like they'd get all sorts of in the way when skating. They did feel very light for there size, and once on the ice, I was able to move every bit as well as my smaller pads. Big props in mobility. I had some over rotation issues, but I'm sure I need to dial in the straps, and specifically the toe lace to easily correct that. Rebounds died just like they're supposed to, and it was very easy to control the angle they came off, but I'm sure any flat faced pad is like that. As far as protection goes, I'm sure some of you are reading this and thinking I'm a head case for wearing "roller pads" with a "real puck!" I'm tellin' ya I've faced a ton of hard shots, and none come close to the shot that this guy on my team has. During warm ups, he made it his goal to mark up my pretty white pads as best as he could, and while I can barely see his shot whistling in from the blue line, I never once felt it through my pads. I actually took one right on top of the ankle as well were the boot bends... nothing. Again I only have one major complaint about performance, and that was that the nylon did not slide period end of sentence. I scotch guarded the crap outta them hoping to keep some mobility, but I'm thinking that it may actually have hurt the slide, because I would stop dead trying to slide. (ice was a little soft, so that may have had something to do with it... I didn't get that far in the "why is ice slippery" thread.)

Overall on a scale of one to five here's how I'll rate these

Look : 4
    Feel : 3.5
    Comfort : 4
    Protection : 4
    Performance: 3.5
    Durability : ???
    Value : 4.5 (could go up or down depending on durability

Hope that helps anyone who's thinking of these! I'll review the glove and blocker as soon as they show up!

More pics

Last edited by Fyrgoalie; 02-23-2006, 09:43 AM.

pics arent workin

Comment

Originally posted by Pooder
      pics arent workin
      well crap... i'll have to try to change hosts... too late tonight.

Comment

The pics will show up if you right click / copy paste the url into your browser. I think his host doesn't allow hotlinking is all.

FYI - Those look like the Missions I was considering, but was advised that 34" would be too small for me. Can you tell me what your ATK measurement is?

MtA
        Last edited by MrMikeEMike; 02-23-2006, 08:04 AM.

Comment

I'm 5'9" with an ATK of 16.5/17 and the knee locks are a little higher than where they should be. Which is another reason to go with the elites rather than the lights... the knee lock is adjustable. The thigh rise on this thing is pretty big though. I don't have anything to compare it to, but the tops of the pads may be higher than the top of the thigh pads in my pants.

Comment

Interesting. My ATK is 17.5", so they might fit just right. I'm 6' even, but like my pads on the smaller side, so maybe I'll think about giving these a try.

EDIT: Maybe not, looks like inlinewarehouse doesn't have them in stock anymore. Oh well.

Thanks for the reply,

MtA
            Last edited by MrMikeEMike; 02-23-2006, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fyrgoalie
              Again I only have one major complaint about performance, and that was that the nylon [of the inside of the pad] did not slide...period end of sentence.
              Because of the price-point, I see more retailers carrying the Elites instead of the Pros. The Pros have weave material along the inside of the pad instead of the nylon, which solve the problem of not sliding. However, because of the expense of the weave, the cost of the pros is much higher. That's why more retailers are'nt carrying it (at least, that's how I see it).

The only place I've seen the Pro model available is on eBay, through a seller named "twoices" (I think that's how you spell it). I just wish other retailers on-line start to offer it.

But I'm guessing some stores may opt to offer the Vaughn Vault instead since it's around the same price-point as the Mission Pro pads.

I'd love to see someone on the BB put both products together and do some sort of a comparison. That would be REALLY interesting.

Comment

Offset channel - good or bad?

Do you like the offset channel? I am a pro-fly goale, and I'm afraid the offset will make the pad not get low enough. Is that an issue for you at all? How much of a pain are the calf wings? They look like they would get in the way.

Comment

Is the entire calf wing and knee wing that contacts the ice nylon?

Also, are they available in different colors? I can't seem to locate any.
                  Last edited by Aaron; 03-26-2006, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PSULion22
                    Do you like the offset channel? I am a pro-fly goale, and I'm afraid the offset will make the pad not get low enough. Is that an issue for you at all? How much of a pain are the calf wings? They look like they would get in the way.

I think the offset leg channel is designed so that your pad lies flat on the ice when youre in the butterfly/profly

Comment

I give that chair "Ugliest chair on GSBB ever" award!

Comment

Originally posted by Keeps33
                        I give that chair "Ugliest chair on GSBB ever" award!
                        Yes!

As far as the pads, I really don't notice the offset channel that much performance wise. I'm able to get them flush pretty quickly, so no worries there. I will say that maybe that's why they're easier to skate in than they look like they'd be. When I first saw them I though I'd have to relearn how to skate in pads, but the only time I notice all the hardware on the inside is during recoveries. I think it's more of the knee wing of one pad getting caught up in the knee wing of the other. So, say I'm recovering on my right leg, I plant my right skate, and as I'm bringing my left leg back under me, the left knee wing will catch on the right one, sending me all off balance. I may remove my "aftermarket" knee lift, which may help. It will also help with the fact that when I'm in the butterfly, the thigh rises angle upward, leaving a good gap under them. (hard to describe, I'll have to get some pics.) I don't know if this has anything to do with the size of them, but I am surprised by how many puck marks I have on the calf wings. I don't remember ever taking a shot off the inside of my legs, and maybe it's just the white makes it more noticeable.

:edit:

Here's a shot from the stands that kinda shows what I'm talking about with the thigh rise issue. I'll still try to get a close up.
                        Last edited by Fyrgoalie; 03-26-2006, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fyrgoalie
                          Yes!

As far as the pads, I really don't notice the offset channel that much performance wise. I'm able to get them flush pretty quickly, so no worries there. I will say that maybe that's why they're easier to skate in than they look like they'd be. When I first saw them I though I'd have to relearn how to skate in pads, but the only time I notice all the hardware on the inside is during recoveries. I think it's more of the knee wing of one pad getting caught up in the knee wing of the other. So, say I'm recovering on my right leg, I plant my right skate, and as I'm bringing my left leg back under me, the left knee wing will catch on the right one, sending me all off balance. I may remove my "aftermarket" knee lift, which may help. It will also help with the fact that when I'm in the butterfly, the thigh rises angle upward, leaving a good gap under them. (hard to describe, I'll have to get some pics.) I don't know if this has anything to do with the size of them, but I am surprised by how many puck marks I have on the calf wings. I don't remember ever taking a shot off the inside of my legs, and maybe it's just the white makes it more noticeable.

:edit:

Here's a shot from the stands that kinda shows what I'm talking about with the thigh rise issue. I'll still try to get a close up.
                          that looks more like a rotation issue more than anything else. try loosening your toe ties and other bottom straps.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre35
                            that looks more like a rotation issue more than anything else. try loosening your toe ties and other bottom straps.
                            Yeah I was thinking the same thing.

I'm looking into the Elite line (I'm in the ordering process). I was wondering if you could take a few pictures of the glove? A few that I'd like to see is one with the glove on your hand (to try to get an idea of the size) and also a picture that shows the depth of the pocket. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by SpyderMan2k4
                              I'm looking into the Elite line (I'm in the ordering process). I was wondering if you could take a few pictures of the glove? A few that I'd like to see is one with the glove on your hand (to try to get an idea of the size) and also a picture that shows the depth of the pocket. Thanks a lot!
                              I've already got some pics I meant to upload - I'll put them up tonight when I get home.

Thanks for the ideas on the strapping - I know that I don't have them dialed in very good, but I kept tying the to strings with less slack rather than more. Oops! I'll have to see how much I can loosen the leg straps though. I've got them pretty tight only to keep those calf wings out of the way. I'll keep you posted on how that works.

Comment

Working...
                              X