No announcement yet.

Warrior R/GT pads, gloves, and C/A review

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

goaliefan I am not 100% sure on the longer knee blocks helping for that. While they might take up space right along the ice, the full size one can collide and stop your thighs from closing together and allow pucks off the ice to squeak by. When the new pad sizing rules came into effect I believe most companies made the knee blocks as big as possible, but they have been cutting them down since the initial designs or at the very least tapering off the edges that would interfere with each other the most.

Comment

• tony20
      tony20 commented
      Editing a comment
      How thin are your pants+knee protectors+thighs that you can bring them close enough that the knee landing gear gets in the way but there is still a few inches between your pant legs to let the puck pass through? Even if I did an extreme Giguerre style blfy, I don't think I could get my landing gear to touch and there's no way that anything is getting between the pant legs. Even just standing around there's no room for a puck between my pant legs.

• Hills
      Hills commented
      Editing a comment
      It's not a total wall so things can still slip through.

• goaliefan
      goaliefan commented
      Editing a comment
      that was when i was playing with reactor 6 pants with the telescopic knee for knee protection, not very good protection and not filling the the 5 hole too good either.
      i got mckenney pant with warrior x pro knee pads for a while now, that explains why many pucks gets trapped between knee blocks and thighrise when i don't butterfly fast enough, the knee pads are pretty well flush with the pant leaving no gaps

i went trying gt and g3 with skates and pants and got the g3. they seal better (for me) for the butterfly and some basic down movement, hope it feel as good on the ice.
    i was going with the 32'' , also tried 33'' and 33' felt better, had more ankle movement and got the 33'' senior g3

Comment

I'm sure you'll be happy with them. I loved mine and I'm just as happy with the R/GT so far.

Comment

• goaliefan
        goaliefan commented
        Editing a comment
        awesome pads,performs as advertised lol. squared up perfectly every time, slides great, only thing that bugged me a bit was outer calf wedge, kept bumping against the post when hugging the post or going post to post when standing, i'll give it some time trying to adjust to it, worse comes to worse i'll remove it

• tony20
        tony20 commented
        Editing a comment
        Happy to hear they are performing as expected.

Try loosening the pad at the knee or staying in your stance/not so straight. It lined up perfectly for me. Either way, it's probably not a big deal. It's rare enough players shoot there and hit the target.

I just picked up the GT C/A based off your review. Coming from an old Itech RX9, that I have been trying to keep together over the last few months, I'm guessing this will be a nice improvement. Especially since I was able to get it for right around $220 delivered.

Comment

• tony20
        tony20 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I'm happy to hear it. Great price for a great C/A. I'm sure you'll be impressed with it, especially compared to the rx9.

Is the PRO line made in Canada?

Comment

Originally posted by estogoalie View Post
        Is the PRO line made in Canada?
        no , everything in vietnam

Comment

• tony20
          tony20 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes they still do custom. Chakal is waiting on his custom order, and I think it should be in soon.

I don't think anyone does made in Canada any more. Now that the factories have years of experience making the gear there's no reason to do it in North America, as much as we would like them to.

• estogoalie
          estogoalie commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea, I guess the new normal will be Made in China

• ruckus007
          ruckus007 commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm neither surprised, nor offended that most pro gear are now made overseas. As the new technology for gear pours in, their construction has also gotten more modular and simple. Look at the RBK/CCM lines - They've been made over seas for years yet still yield good build quality for the most part.

I don't think made in Canada holds that weight as much anymore either, considering most companies skimp on the MATERIALS, more than anything. Most of what I see in terms of breakdown are from sub-par materials or idiosyncrasies in design.

Even if it were made in Canada, a lot of the gear will still not keep its durability, or usability. Look at JRZ - they've been making $hit gear for ages. Gloves that don't close, pads falling apart, etc.

I held a 1S glove that was made in Canada and one in Asia and could not tell the difference. Same with the pads. Granted the charge is still really high considering the assembly cost has gone down. However, that IS the nature of business. Minimize cost and maximize profits. Considering goalie gear is also a very seldom purchased product for most individuals, these companies need to get their profits SOMEWHERE.

That being said though, the NA made Vaughn and Brian's gear are still very good craftsmanship wise. They will always continue to have my support.

Bauer on the other hand, with its market over-saturation of sub-par, poorly design products, will NEVER have my support.

Actually, the pricing here in Switzerland on Warrior pads is pretty good, about 30% less than the other big name brands. A full PRO set would cost me about $2,300 USD which isn't bad for Switzerland. Normally prices here are 25-50% more what they go for in CAN/USA (eg: Vaughn V7 cost $2,300 just for the leg pads here, plus another $1200 for the gloves)...., so it's strange to see a set of Warrior cost about the same here as it would in the USA/CAN. Hmm, I'm really interested now, I'll have to go try a set of R/GT on now. I tried the G1 and G2 in the past and hated them, but I'll hold my judgement on the R/GT until I try it, because it's supposed to be more of a traditional pad....let's see...
        Last edited by estogoalie; 06-04-2017, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Hey Tony, Can you give me an update on how the C/A is holding up?
          I just read too many reviews indicating that the Sr. model was not protective enough in the shoulders and quality issues with seams letting go.
          Can't afford the Pro.

Comment

• Bassai
            Bassai commented
            Editing a comment
            If you can wait keep an eye on Ice Warehouse this coming Christmas. I picked up the Warrior Ritual G2 Pro Goalie Chest Protector Sr from them 2 years ago for 25% off. Unlike the other on line retailers they put just about everything on sale not just the clearance stuff they are trying to dump.

• tony20
            tony20 commented
            Editing a comment
            Still looks like new. Keep in mind they beefed up the shoulders since the ritual g1 c/a (and I had no issues with the g1 or even the Swagger c/a). The puck literally has to go through several inches of foam/plastics before it gets to you as everything overlaps. There is no way to get hurt if you are wearing this properly. I can post some more pics if you want. If people can feel the puck in the shoulders, I'm guessing the c/a is hanging too low and they are hunched forwards. Even then the c/a has to be hanging off of you to get hurt.

I finally went to the local pro shop last week and tried on the R/GT set...and was kind of disappointed Mostly disappointed with the thigh-rise on the leg pads. They were too tall and stiff (and it was the same 34+1 as my current V4's). No S-curve happening there at all. Felt like no internal break above the knee. Just a very tall, stiff thigh-rise. Very strange, not what I expect for a hybrid line. From the knee down the pads felt ok. And the gloves were ok as well (nothing great, just OK).

Comment

I finally went to the local pro shop last week and tried on the R/GT set...and was kind of disappointed Mostly disappointed with the thigh-rise on the leg pads. They were too tall and stiff (and it was the same 34+1 as my current V4's). No S-curve happening there at all. Felt like no internal break above the knee. Just a very tall, stiff thigh-rise. Very strange, not what I expect for a hybrid line. From the knee down the pads felt ok. And the gloves were ok as well (nothing great, just OK).
            I ordered mine with a double break and they're really soft. I can get a S shape and so far, works good for me. A few more ice time and I'll be ready for a full review of my set.

Comment

One man's trash is another's treasure.

The stiff, single break thigh rise was a major selling point for me. I've got a decent enough flare that a double break is unnecessary. It seems to be where a lot of the hybrid pads are heading towards. (Bauer Vapour, CCM EFlex, Warrior GT, Brian Gn3tiks, etc). All of these pads are the new "hybrid" style. Soft boot, single knee break relatively stiff above the knee. While the older style hybrid pads (old gnetiks, velocity, Reactor) are slowly fading away.

I'm sure there will always be a market for the super soft, double break pads at the retail level, but it has been a noticeable shift from the big players putting those type of pads out there as a major line. Even the new velocity's are getting stiffer.

Comment

Slightly off topic, but can anyone compare this C/A or any Warrior C/A for that matter to the Simmons 995 I have now? I'm trying to upgrade and loved my 995, other than going with a newer 999 I was also considering Warrior. If anyone has experience with both company's and could relate if the warrior units are similar in size and or mobility as the Simmons 995-999 series thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by apewrench View Post
                  Slightly off topic, but can anyone compare this C/A or any Warrior C/A for that matter to the Simmons 995 I have now? I'm trying to upgrade and loved my 995, other than going with a newer 999 I was also considering Warrior. If anyone has experience with both company's and could relate if the warrior units are similar in size and or mobility as the Simmons 995-999 series thanks in advance.

No experience with Simmons, but warrior passes the nose test right out of the box. I've had no mobility issues with the g1/g2/Rgt. Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by CoopALoop1234 View Post

One man's trash is another's treasure.

The stiff, single break thigh rise was a major selling point for me. I've got a decent enough flare that a double break is unnecessary. It seems to be where a lot of the hybrid pads are heading towards. (Bauer Vapour, CCM EFlex, Warrior GT, Brian Gn3tiks, etc). All of these pads are the new "hybrid" style. Soft boot, single knee break relatively stiff above the knee. While the older style hybrid pads (old gnetiks, velocity, Reactor) are slowly fading away.

I'm sure there will always be a market for the super soft, double break pads at the retail level, but it has been a noticeable shift from the big players putting those type of pads out there as a major line. Even the new velocity's are getting stiffer.
                    I have V4's right now, and they were alot stiffer in the thigh than all my previous pads, but somehow it felt OK. There was something of an S-curve, and I guess there's an internal break. I tried newer V6 and V7's, and while they are a little stiffer, the thigh still seems OK in general. I know this is the trend for hybrid pads these days.

But with the RGT's the thigh rise seemed rediculously stiff and large. I did a few carpet-flys in the store, and it was impossible, the tigh-rises kept smashing into each other, I couldn't move. I was kind of disappointed, because I really wanted to like the pads. I guess I could always go custom like Chackal did, and get a shorter thigh-rise with double break. But off-the-shelf RGT's are a no-go for me.

Comment

Originally posted by tony20 View Post

There's tons of adjustments on the arms and back. When standing arms down, there is no gap between arms and body, so no pucks will be sneaking through in the b-fly, unless you spread your wings. The back of the c/a lets you adjust the how high the c/a sits. The arms have two sets of eyelets, so you can shorten them a bit if needed. You can adjust the placement of the shoulder floaters. The last row of padding can be removed, if you find it too long.

Anything more specific that you wanted to know?
                      Thanks for the note back Tony. I've played around with the arms on my Premier and shortened them, but I guess the best way to put it is I'm still very aware of the fit. I think the only real thing for me to do it hit up a decent pro shop when I have a chance and try a Ritual GT Pro on. Other option is of course Passau. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                      X