No announcement yet.

Warrior Ritual G3 pads review

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know when year 2 pricing normally starts? I think I saw somewhere that it was mid-April when they dropped the price on the G2 set for its second year. I'm hoping when the GT line comes out in April, there will also be a price drop on G3.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattio View Post
      Does anyone know when year 2 pricing normally starts? I think I saw somewhere that it was mid-April when they dropped the price on the G2 set for its second year. I'm hoping when the GT line comes out in April, there will also be a price drop on G3.
      Is there going to be a new glove set associated with the GTs?

Comment

Originally posted by Bassai View Post

Is there going to be a new glove set associated with the GTs?
        Judging from the promo videos they loook awfully like the G3. I can't see warrior developing a second glove set

Comment

Usually price only drops on the prior model after the new one comes out. Prices on G3 will drop around the time the G4 hits the market

Comment

The RGT Gloves are similar however the catcher liner is laced in, providing a more "traditional" feel on the palm (The G3 ones sometimes can feel a little "loose" or "disconnected" depending on age, wear, etc. The catcher angle is slightly more steep. Felt kinda bit more like a CCM 90 degree when I tried it on. The blocker is about the same but has an extra piece jutting out from near the forefinger (think Bauer Ractor 9000).

Comment

Originally posted by Rayzilla View Post
              I bought these pads without being able to try them on or even see any G3s in person because I now live in Hong Kong where there are no goalie shops. So I was a little worried that 33+1.5 might be too short after reading so many posts by guys that are about 5' 9" to 5' 10" and wearing 34" and even 35" pads. I know everyone has different proportions but still, it was posted enough times to make me worry. But I also did not want to get pads that were too tall. I made that mistake once before with ordering custom pads that had too much + on the thigh rise and it really affected my mobility.

After about 6 games now, I am confident that 34 would have been a little too big. But keep in mind that I have not been using any knee guards with the G3 yet.
              ​To be honest, it surprises me that 33+1.5 works for you. I just recently purchased a set of G3 pro's 34+1.5, I'm 5'8". I was wearing Brian's Subzero pro2's before I purchased the G3's. Lucky for me I have a goalie shop close and was able to try the 33+1.5's before making the decision to go with the 34's. The G3's are identical in the landing area as my SZ2's, the only difference is that the thigh rise is one inch higher on the G3's. As mentioned, I'm only 5'8" and was landing too high in the 33's for my liking, especially considering they were new and hadn't worn in. The 34's were the way to go for me.

Comment

I guess I have shorter shins than average. The 33s are landing on the top half of the knee landing but that is the way I like them to be. But I find that because of the additional height on the thigh rise, I would be more concerned about the overlapping there. And how that would restrict my mobility, which is an area I want to improve on.

Comment

not to hijack the thread, but question on durability? I have a set of G2 Pro's that I bought less then a year ago, while I'm on the ice a fair amount it seems like the leather is thinner and wears through quickly. I already am starting to have spots on the pads where I've worn through. By comparison my Smiths took something like 7 years of heavier use to get worn through.

I really like how the G2 performs, and I'm totally sold on the elastic straps through out, but on the other hand not happy with the durability of my G2's.

So those who have had G3's for a little bit now, how are they holding up?

Comment

• ruckus007
                    ruckus007 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I had the G2 pros and then got G3 seniors. The G3 are wearing much better than the G2's.

• tony20
                    tony20 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Had g1 seniors, no issues. Now have g3 seniors being used 5+ hours a week since august, no issues. Have g2 pro gloves, no issues. So while I skipped the g2 pads, everything else has been great. Got pics? Maybe it's something unique to your style of wearing and using the pads.

• goPens
                    goPens commented
                    Editing a comment
                    it's in this thread: http://goaliestore.com/board/forum/e...-g2-durablilty I have pictures in there.

I have little spots starting to show all over the pads really, mainly the corners of rolls, not the usual inside toe spot you always see. I'd say my pads get about 4-5 hours a week these days, for about 4 months it was over 6 hours a week.

Got some possible helpful sizing info here. I have now demoed the 33+1.5 and the 35+1.5 even though I am normally 34's (5'10" 19.75 ftk) because that's all they had for demo's. However, they also had 34+1.5 in stock so I was able to put them all side by side and try them on. What was interesting is that the 34's and 35's appear to have the exact same length from ankle break to knee landing. The only difference is the boot is longer on the 35 (and of course the thigh rise is taller). The toe straps felt weird with the 34's but with the 35's they felt great. I think this comes down to skate size and brand (Bauer Supreme size 8). With the 34's it was more like the strap was coming around the toe section of my skate and locking my skate inside the boot section of the pad and I couldn't move. With the elongated boot of the 35's it was more like it was pulling the front of my skates towards the tip of the pad and I had more movement and a more natural flex for those reach saves. I feel like it was the perfect tension and would add an inch or so to my coverage while protecting the tip of my blade. I didn't notice any mobility issues and the thighrises are so thin that you have a lot of wiggle room when choosing pad height. With me, I have a lot of groin flexibility but not a lot of hip flexibility. Therefore, I like landing with my knees farther apart than standard, but my legs don't flare out that much. The 35's have turned my 5-hole into Fort Knox and even when I do land with my knees closer together, the pads overlap without issues. Just bought a very lightly used set of 35+1.5 pros!! Got a great deal

Comment

What are you guys wearing for knee pads? I'm a little devestated that my Passaus are too bulky on the sides, causing the knee blocks to protrude towards eachother when I'm standing up... The Warrior knee pads that come with the set seem a little bulky in that way as well.... The fella that is sending me my G3 set also threw in a pair of Brian's Pro 2 knee pads.. I guess we'll see how those are

Comment

• tony20
                      tony20 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I've used the old bauers that had the round knee caps, like every brand has. Also used the CCMs with the huge graphite looking plastic knee cups. I'm now using the bauer supremes. No issues with any of them. The first bauers wore out, and the CCMs hurt my knees. The bauers have been great for the few weeks I've had them.

The pads are standard width, and the knee landing area has a maximum nhl thickness, so all pads should have the same knee area. Maybe the g3 knee blocks are just stiffer, or the pads are sitting differently that your previous pads. Are you attaching the knee lock on the calf? that might help give you some room. I find it also puts a lot less stress on your knee.
                      Last edited by tony20; 02-14-2017, 01:53 AM.

• Mattio
                      Mattio commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ya, I was wearing Bauer reactor 4000's for pads before this and the knee landing was very minimal. That's why I needed the Passaus... they are great but they stick out a lot towards the inside of your leg. This is great for a Giggy fly but not necessary now that my thighrise doesn't have a 5 hole gap like my last pads. I'm tempted to give the g3 knee pads a shot but unfortunately they don't come with my set as the seller sold them prior to selling the set..

Just to revive this thread a little bit...I received my new set of G3's(Sr) yesterday and played with them right out of the box. First impressions are obviously very light like everyone says, although I didn't notice a huge difference coming from Reactor 6000's and TotalOne NXG's, at least not as much as I was expecting. For a senior level pad, they are everything I come to expect from a high end Sr level pad, having used P4 18k's and Revoke 9000's in the past. Very sturdy and well put together, not a far step from pro level at all. A very stiff pad, with a stiff calf wrap as well. I felt pretty uncomfortable in them at first because of how stiff everything was, but after a while on the ice I really didn't notice it and felt like the stiffness in the calf wrap really helped rotation. They butterfly and slide effortlessly and I feel like I was able to seal up quicker in them as well. A lot of low shots that typically squeak through on me when I'm being lazy were trapped underneath by these pads, so I was pretty happy about that. My main issues with these pads were the toe straps, which I felt were not nearly long enough and pretty difficult to stretch compared to the HAL type toe straps I'm used, so I will be switching that up. I didn't see how I could adjust the length or anything. Now I don't know if this was related to the toes being too tight or not, but I found when trying to go from hugging the post to RVH, the pad would not rotate or get hung up somehow where I would end up on the face of the pad. Again, I have some tweaking and testing to do, but that issue was really annoying. Other than that, the pads are solid and probably the most stable pads I've ever used when down in the butterfly. Kick out some nice rebounds too. I used the included knee guards and had no issues with them. No hang ups, adequate protection, felt pretty soft on the knees and not too bulky. I use tape, so I can't speak to how well they stay up or slide down or anything.

The catcher was very light and very smooth. Pretty easy to close out of the box but I will be softening it up further with the hot water method. Closure was solid and utilized a more "grasping" type hand closure rather than a thumb to forefinger type. Protection is good even for a Sr glove and I found it had a nice balance between protection and closure. By comparison, my Reactor 6000 glove with the pro palm is like wrapping your had around a beer there's so much material in there, for a guy with fairly small hands, that never really worked well for me. The G3 glove is different and takes a little getting used to, but overall is comfortable, performs well and offers solid protection in the palm and at the back of the hand. Didn't have a lot to catch, but the few I did went right in the pocket, no pop-outs. My biggest concern was with the blocker however. The least likely place I though I would have any real issues. The blocker is light and well balanced, but I found I was fighting the blocker some how to the point I was getting hand fatigue just from holding the stick. Additionally, the one time I dropped my stick I couldn't pick it back up. I literally sat there and tried everything for a good minute, before I had to take the blocker off and pick the stick up with my bare hand. I know a blocker is supposed to be a blocker, but not in my case. I absolutely love my Bauer blockers and how light and loose they are on my hand, not the most protective, but functionally the best I've ever used. I also found the G3 blocker hung up on my chest protector a little bit, whereas my Bauer blockers never even touch it, so mobility is also a concern for me. It seems a big problem is the finger protection interfering with my actual fingers to the point where I can't get my fingers to reach my stick when its on the ice, I can't pull my mask down off my head, can't pick up my water bottle...nothing. Could be because I have smaller hands...don't know. Have to figure something out or this thing is getting kicked out of the band. By comparison, the G3 blocker feels a lot like a CCM/Reebok blocker, which I never liked. Too snug on the hand and not a lot of mobility in the wrist area.

Overall, the fit, finish, protection, performance, etc...of the G3 Sr version is as good as any set I've personally ever used, whether it be pro or high level Sr. Only time will tell its durability, but nothing so far gives me cause for concern. I've heard that the outer materials may be a bit thinner on the Sr. version that may cause it to break down quicker, but we'll see. All I know is the last 2 Bauer pro sets I've had didn't seem to hold up the way I'd expect and I'm starting to think there are some serious issues with Bauer's durability lately which is why I didn't even look at the 1S or S190, despite how much I have enjoyed using their products in the past. Again, this was a straight out of the box use and review, so I will be trying to tweak some things and break some things in as I use them more. The G3's also have a ton of customizing features, so I may be able to find a setup that works better, such as moving the blocker palm down a bit, but I'm afraid that may hurt wrist mobility further. I will also say that I really enjoyed my first experience with no leather straps or unnecessary nylon straps and buckles. It makes getting dressed much easier and faster and makes in game adjustments a lot easier too. Not necessarily a good thing for those of us that have had to undo a strap here and there just to get a breather when your D-men are obviously hung over, but nevertheless...convenient. I can post pics if anyone wants to see them, but like I said, I literally took them out of the box and played with them last night, so I haven't had a chance to take any pics yet. I would definitely recommend these pads to anyone who prefers a light weight and solid/firm pad. In my opinion you get a lot for your money with these pads in terms of build quality, performance and features.

Comment

jayluv54 - when you get a few more games in, I'd love to hear more about the glove palm protection, stingers or deadhand etc. Thanks

Comment

• jayluv54
                        jayluv54 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        RichMan - so far so good. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by this glove. I would describe protection as not quite as good as a pro palm, but better than a game ready with fairly easy and smooth closure. No stingers or anything yet and at this point I don't anticipate much. It has a really nice balance between protection and feel. Best described as I can feel where the puck hits the glove, but I don't necessarily feel the shot...if that makes sense.

• RichMan
                        RichMan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Jay

Another comment I'll make about the protection level of this whole set is that I "feel" a lot of shots, even on the leg pads. Not stingers or anything like that, but I do feel where almost every shot hits. Last night I took a pretty strong clapper (nothing outstanding, but it was moving pretty good) straight to the leg and for the first time ever I felt a leg pad compress on my shin. It didn't hurt at all but was so distinct that I could have taken the pad off and pointed to the exact spot on my shin where the puck hit the pad. I've never experienced that before, not even in other sets of Sr. level gear. I don't know if that's an indication that the pads will break down quickly or just a direct result of this new super light gear. I have heard similar comments about the new OD1N's. I guess it makes perfect sense that for gear to get lighter it has to get thinner. I'm not saying its a bad thing to be feeling shots, I actually kind of like it because it registers almost immediately where the rebound is, but lets just say it kind of surprises me a little bit when it happens sometimes. Other than that, I have adjusted quite well to the blocker and am still very happy with how this set performs. Actually in terms of performance, I have to say its the best set I've ever had, but I wouldn't recommend it to those goalies that never want to feel anything ever. Then again, I'm one of those goalies that enjoys the V6 2200 chesty.

Comment

I can chime in a bit on the gear: I have the Senior level one as well, and can follow up with Jayluv54's comments:

- The toe strap will become stretchier and more pliable as you use it. I would say about 15 games in, you'll notice a significant difference. I have actually taken them out and started using Brian's smart toe strap on it. It bolts onto the toe bridge that's sewn into the foot of the pad.

- The pads themselves will soften up after about 30-40 games as well. Mine's actually relatively flexy, but without any rebound issues. I can also feel shots to the shin but nothing ever hurt. You just "feel" the impact.

- The glove palm WILL compress after a while, and you'll feel stingers then. However, I have a solution to that which is easy to DIY.

- Play with the blocker palm position. I have mine at the forward most position (closer to the nose), and keep the velcro strap a bit looser and further away from the finger protection panels. THat will aid in the stick issue and hand fatigue. I bet yours may be cranked too tightly.

**I've used mine for about 9 months now, with 100 games in them**

Comment

• jdiknght24
                          jdiknght24 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          What was your DIY fix for the senior glove stingers, I am thinking about getting a full set of the R/GT seniors.

• ruckus007
                          ruckus007 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The fix is to take the palm insert from the G2 and put velcro on both sides so it will attach between the glove and the palm. But would only work on the G3 and not the R/GT

Originally posted by ruckus007 View Post
                        ...soften up after about 30-40 games ...
                        For a mook like me that is over a year's worth of games. Long break in period.

Comment

• ruckus007
                          ruckus007 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          which really, is not bad considering it's supposed to be a hard pad.
                      Working...
                      X