No announcement yet.

Sparx Skate Sharpener - Initial Impressions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I wanted to chime in here, I got my sparx in September and couldn't be happier. It works as advertised for both player and goalie. I would caution those with larger size goalie skates that cowlings may not clear the housing, even with the provided risers. I tried to do a friends size 13 reeboks and had to build up the risers with tape to keep the cowlings from hitting the machine and forcing the blades out of square. Outside of that, great machine.

After doing some research I discovered that Sparx says it will fit goalie skates up to size 10.5... I guess that makes sense

Comment

I didn't see this before, but I figured I'd add my initial impressions on my SPARX as well, though most of it's already on the show off your gear thread:
      http://goaliestore.com/board/forum/e...12#post3264612

I've had it up for a week now and done three sharpenings at 7/16" on my size 6 Graf 750s; one pair had two sharpenings to fix what felt like a 1/2" from the last pro shop visit. The SPARX is three for three so far, edges have been clean, even, and crisp every time. The set up was a breeze and it is very user friendly. I cannot begin to describe how convenient it is, and how much I appreciate not having to worry about when I'm going to make the 2-hour round trip to Total Hockey to get my skates done (and by done, I mean...maybe they get done right). I don't know if anyone else is going to do a 6 month review, but I'm happy to keep notes and do one in the future for those that would like a long term review.

FWIW, the Sweet Stick is not recommended from SPARX - all that needs to be done after removing the skate from the machine is running the honing stone on each side of the blade to deburr it and wipe it down with the leather strop.

Comment

The only thing stopping me is the inability to do assymetrical sharpenings (i.e. 1/2" inside/ 5/8" outside edge), and having that done CORRECTLY is a gamble EVERYTIME you have it done! At least we don't have to worry about mild steel runners that could get ruined by ham-fisted shoppe hacks like back in the old days.

Comment

$900.00 ! Too rich for my blood.Good if you live hours away from a place that does skate sharpening.

Comment

Originally posted by brucelroy View Post
            $900.00 ! Too rich for my blood.Good if you live hours away from a place that does skate sharpening.
            The ProSharp is a LOT more expensive than that. I would probably buy one, then have people buy their own rings and I would charge them per sharpening.

Comment

Originally posted by brucelroy View Post
              I've had mine since Sept. I skate out as well, on ice 3-5 days a week. I've already paid for $120 of the price from savings at the rink plus haven't had a bad sharpening since I got it

Comment

Had one for a year. Only used 5/8 and 1/2 stones. Had to re-align three times using included alignment wheel. Invested in a decent level checker and that helped alot. We have three sets of goalie and 3 sets of player skates in the family in three sizes. Most annoying thing is adjusting the stone starting point with the console buttons (left/right) and then adjusting the hight of the starting point (stone itself) with the internal orange lever nob.
                Next similar option is almost a grand more. I think we will keep suffering for now....

Comment

Working...
                X