Bauer Supreme 1S OD1N Knee Pad Review

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NightWarp View Post
    Thanks for the update Hills! thats disappointing news but not that surprising after i saw them in store! Where did you get it exactly? can you show us the resulting welt too?
    I got it right on the hard piece I questioned in the video, the part that says "Flexorb."

I'll be updating the review in the next few days with a video and I'll show the knee as well. It wasn't a big welt but for how weak of a shot it was there really shouldn't have been anything there at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills View Post

I got it right on the hard piece I questioned in the video, the part that says "Flexorb."

I'll be updating the review in the next few days with a video and I'll show the knee as well. It wasn't a big welt but for how weak of a shot it was there really shouldn't have been anything there at all.

​Hills

Sorry to hear that you got hurt - however I am not surprised most knee pads are not protective enough except the CCM Pro and the Koho's the Vaughns with their 2 layer cap seem pretty good but they are hard to find here in Montreal and finally the Warriors - but they seem to not stay in place there is a separate post on these!

I will try to get my son into the CCM Pro:s, we have a long weekend and hopefully we will be able to get him a pair before he heads back to school and starts his season!

Comment

Originally posted by Big View Post

​Hills

Sorry to hear that you got hurt - however I am not surprised most knee pads are not protective enough except the CCM Pro and the Koho's the Vaughns with their 2 layer cap seem pretty good but they are hard to find here in Montreal and finally the Warriors - but they seem to not stay in place there is a separate post on these!

I will try to get my son into the CCM Pro:s, we have a long weekend and hopefully we will be able to get him a pair before he heads back to school and starts his season!
        I bought a pair of Passau knee pads since those to me seemed like the next best option. I wasn't a fan on how the CCM Pros leave the side of your knee exposed, especially since I find I land on the inside of my knee more than the front of it. I didn't like the craftsman ship on the Kohos and I again wasn't a fan of how your knee isn't really locked in place anywhere but instead sitting on a large concave piece of foam, I am sure they are protective enough but just my preference (and they are expensive for a Canadian). I also had problems in the past with Vaughn's knee guards landing area breaking down pretty quickly and leaving me with very sore knees... so I didn't want to risk that again. Let us know how the CCMs fair for you!

Comment

• ruckus007
          ruckus007 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have the Koho's. They're a bit bulky but worth every penny. I've had div1, college and ex-pro shots STRAIGHT in the knee with nothing more than a thud. The landing pads' are fantastic. They stay in place and cover the entire knee no matter where I land. I've actually had a few times where I land on the ice due to scrambles and over-rotations and I don't even feel much impact.

I would be interested in hearing about the Brian's Pro knee pads they look very interesting albeit I have never seen them?

Comment

I bought a pair of Passau knee pads since those to me seemed like the next best option. I wasn't a fan on how the CCM Pros leave the side of your knee exposed, especially since I find I land on the inside of my knee more than the front of it. I didn't like the craftsman ship on the Kohos and I again wasn't a fan of how your knee isn't really locked in place anywhere but instead sitting on a large concave piece of foam, I am sure they are protective enough but just my preference (and they are expensive for a Canadian). I also had problems in the past with Vaughn's knee guards landing area breaking down pretty quickly and leaving me with very sore knees... so I didn't want to risk that again. Let us know how the CCMs fair for you!
          Hills my son currently has the CCM senior not the pro model I must tell that the only time he ever got hurt in that region was with the Passau Gen 1 knee
          pads 2 years ago when he was playing peewee aaa. One of the reasons I want to get him what I would comsider a very protective set is that one of his goalie coaches started showing the kids a Giggi fly type save, knees closed shut and the subsequently closed b fly.

Will keep you informed I will certainly try to understand what - lack of knee side protection you are referencing above!

Comment

Hills my son currently has the CCM senior not the pro model I must tell that the only time he ever got hurt in that region was with the Passau Gen 1 knee
            pads 2 years ago when he was playing peewee aaa. One of the reasons I want to get him what I would comsider a very protective set is that one of his goalie coaches started showing the kids a Giggi fly type save, knees closed shut and the subsequently closed b fly.

Will keep you informed I will certainly try to understand what - lack of knee side protection you are referencing above!
            Now that you mention that about the Passau you have me worried...

I thought your son was wearing these knee pads, where the side of the knee is exposed.

Comment

Now that you mention that about the Passau you have me worried...

I thought your son was wearing these knee pads, where the side of the knee is exposed.

​Hills

Couple of things - first the knee pads that my son uses are the CCM SR Goalie model and I just looked them up they have a similar bottom section as you are referencing above! If I am not mistaken this section/part of the knee pad covers the section just below the knee and mainly acts as an anchor. The knee lands in the section just above, where you see a shinny plastics section and above and the CCM Pro is the most padded knee pads (Koho's maybe better - I have never seen them) I am concerned about shots when the goalie is square to the shooter and not a fluke shot while scrambling and getting hit on the inside section of the knee.

My sons Gen 1 Passau knee pads had two issues - one they would get caught when dropping into a Bfly due to their cam shell design, Also my son took a shot above the knee pads, we found them to be short up towards the thigh section. Hopefully I can go with my son so get him a new pair of knee pads this weekend, CCM pro which he recently tried and liked FYI I will not pursue the Warriors as they do not seem to hold in place!

As soon as I am able I will advice, I will hopefully also be able to post pictures about this!

Comment

• Big
                Big commented
                Editing a comment
                Hill spoke with The Goaliecrease late today and discussed the CCM Pro vs the Brian's Pro - was told that the Brian's is a BEAST of a unit but that they would not recommend it unless I actually saw the unit in person and had my son try it. I was told that the protection was over and above most if not all units out there but you needed to have a very large pair of goalie pants so as to make sure the thigh section cleared. The rep I spoke had very high praise for the CCM and that was what he wore, will be picking one up tomorrow first thing!

• NightWarp
                NightWarp commented
                Editing a comment
                While im the one who posted about the Warriors.. if they are laced into the pants they are AMAZING.. on their own however.....not so great

Updated Video Review is here:

Comment

• mr_shifty1982
                mr_shifty1982 commented
                Editing a comment
                Lower level 4 months playing haha this is a joke, I been playing for 6 years and got hit in the knees only twice!

Written review can be found in the decription and here:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikUVAuCu_98 Personal Details Male 6'3” 220 lbs Butterfly A-C level hockey Usage time: 4 months Previous Knee Pads: Vaughn V3, Bauer Supreme, Reebok P2, Warrior G2 Pro, Bauer Supreme 1S OD1N Preface: After my Vaughn V3 knee guards went soft in the landing wing and started causing bruising on my knees I upgraded to the…

Comment

​Hills

Couple of things - first the knee pads that my son uses are the CCM SR Goalie model and I just looked them up they have a similar bottom section as you are referencing above! If I am not mistaken this section/part of the knee pad covers the section just below the knee and mainly acts as an anchor. The knee lands in the section just above, where you see a shinny plastics section and above and the CCM Pro is the most padded knee pads (Koho's maybe better - I have never seen them) I am concerned about shots when the goalie is square to the shooter and not a fluke shot while scrambling and getting hit on the inside section of the knee.

My sons Gen 1 Passau knee pads had two issues - one they would get caught when dropping into a Bfly due to their cam shell design, Also my son took a shot above the knee pads, we found them to be short up towards the thigh section. Hopefully I can go with my son so get him a new pair of knee pads this weekend, CCM pro which he recently tried and liked FYI I will not pursue the Warriors as they do not seem to hold in place!

As soon as I am able I will advice, I will hopefully also be able to post pictures about this!
                Hills

So we did pick up a set of CCM Pro knee pads last week, and my son wore them 4 times already and tells me that they are very comfortable and do not not impede his movements, furthermore they remain in place vs the Warriors. Unfortunately I cannot comment on the protection cause he rarely gets hit if ever in that area but all I can say is no complaints is a very good sign coming from my son.

Comment

Hills

So we did pick up a set of CCM Pro knee pads last week, and my son wore them 4 times already and tells me that they are very comfortable and do not not impede his movements, furthermore they remain in place vs the Warriors. Unfortunately I cannot comment on the protection cause he rarely gets hit if ever in that area but all I can say is no complaints is a very good sign coming from my son.
                  Thanks for the update! Maybe if the Passau don't work out I'll grab the CCMs.

Comment

I've had a set for a year now(about 150 skates), and while the knee padding is much improved over the last model, the Curv composite middle segment is garbage compared to the plastic one on the yellow Supremes. It is narrow, and if you have bigger legs like I do, it will rub your legs raw and bind on the thigh segment as Matt points out. Also, the fabric and stitching are shoddy, and the webbing that holds the segments together has started to rip on mine. If they added the improved knee padding to the old model, then they'd have a winner, but I definitely would recommend just adding foam to the yellow Supremes over shelling out for the Od1n knee pads. I'll post pics of what I mean when I'm home and have time.
                    Last edited by madguitarist; 01-24-2018, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Took another puck off of the exposed area that the Curv fails to cover. **** me, that hurt! These knee pads are the first piece of Bauer gear that I absolutely hate. Complete and utter garbage for the $100 price tag.

...and I'm saying this as someone who has been using Bauer everything for a decade or more now, and is about to order a brand new set of 1X pads and gloves(if you haven't tried the pads, then you should). I love their gear, but this is a huge miss for them.
                      Last edited by madguitarist; 02-22-2018, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by madguitarist View Post
                        Took another puck off of the exposed area that the Curv fails to cover. **** me, that hurt! These knee pads are the first piece of Bauer gear that I absolutely hate. Complete and utter garbage for the $100 price tag.

...and I'm saying this as someone who has been using Bauer everything for a decade or more now, and is about to order a brand new set of 1X pads and gloves(if you haven't tried the pads, then you should). I love their gear, but this is a huge miss for them.

That exposed area is the very reason I ditched my Reeboks and started using Passau knee pads. They're really bulky, but the protect like nothing else. I've taken full slapshots directly to them and while I've felt the shots, I've never had any pain.

Comment

Originally posted by parebele View Post

That exposed area is the very reason I ditched my Reeboks and started using Passau knee pads. They're really bulky, but the protect like nothing else. I've taken full slapshots directly to them and while I've felt the shots, I've never had any pain.
                          Yeah...I just picked up a set of Vapor 1X knee pads, and they already feel like they're going to protect much better than the 1S. They don't have the segmented build like the 1S. They're a beefed up Reactor knee guard with the Curv knee coverage over top. Can't wait to try them out.

Comment

Working...
                          X