No announcement yet.

VH Goalie Skates - These things are Freakin Awesome

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are made in China, I am not sure what part is assembled in the US but the skates themselves are made overseas. The skates do not offer a lot of depth in the current models, so if you required a Supreme or Nexus type fit in Bauer player skates these might not work out for you.

Comment

• dreadlockgoalie
      dreadlockgoalie commented
      Editing a comment
      When you say depth, what do you mean? I was looking at these guys as a option to have a boot made for a my roller goalie skates but I couldn't find much in the way of review on the goalie boot.

• Hills
      Hills commented
      Editing a comment
      Depth is the bottom of your foot to the top of it, when you buy skates you should be able to pass the "pencil test." Which is where you pull the tongue upwards and you should be able to drag a pencil across the top of the skate without hitting your foot. The picture below is the pencil test.
      http://s1004.photobucket.com/user/oh...ates5.jpg.html

Their goalie boot should be similar if not identical to their player boot, just without the tendon guard.

• dreadlockgoalie
      dreadlockgoalie commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know, thanks!

Originally posted by XCVII View Post

Even in American dollars, it still beats the cost of VH's skates. I'm very intrigued. I'm gonna call tomorrow and inquire.
    I assumed that since VH is in Winnipeg that their prices were in Canadian dollars but it is US dollars.

Comment

• sebastiancp1
      sebastiancp1 commented
      Editing a comment
      If you order in the US, you pay 890 US, if you order in Canada, you pay 890 CAD.

For those who have ordered VH skates, can you get them with a sewn-in tongue as opposed to the removable version?

Comment

• Bassai
      Bassai commented
      Editing a comment
      That was not presented as an option when ordering so that is something you would have to ask if they will do it.

• sebastiancp1
      sebastiancp1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Bassai

Originally posted by sebastiancp1 View Post
    For those who have ordered VH skates, can you get them with a sewn-in tongue as opposed to the removable version?
    This might help in deciding if you did not want the adjustable tongue.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...00&FORM=VRDGAR

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...=0&FORM=VDFSRV

Comment

• sebastiancp1
      sebastiancp1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for posting those. I worry more than I should, but I'm a bit concerned at the fits not feeling the same on each skates without consistent tongue placement if that makes sense.

• Bassai
      Bassai commented
      Editing a comment
      It does. On my player skates placement was not exactly the same and it made a difference in how much room there was in the skate. I put off making the adjustment for a few months due to how tight and stiff the boot was, very tough to get my hand in there and adjust it just right. I think that the movable tongue serves the same purpose as this aftermarket product does.

http://www.hockeyworldblog.com/2016/...erfoot-review/

Originally posted by bc30 View Post
    It looks like, yes, the holder will be the same for both player and goalie - the steel is different, obviously

You know I just realized it doesn't look like these blades are very tall. Not like Bauer Step blades at least. I get that they're Step so the quality is better so they'll last longer but they don't look like they give much of a boost in height.

Comment

The holder itself makes the whole thing a half inch taller than the Bauer cowling.

Comment

Height comparison

Comment

Oh wow, didn't realize how tall that holder is. Still though, with the Bauer Step steel there's more meat on the blade so it won't need to be replaced as soon. Though I get that you lose the advantage as the blade looses height. At least with the height in the holder that's an advantage you don't lose. I remember you had VHs in Rochester but did you have these or the ones with the Bauer cowling?

Comment

• bc30
            bc30 commented
            Editing a comment
            I have the Bauer cowling on mine, with 3mm steel

I'm debating whether to switch to a cowling with 4mm steel (which I have in my possession) or whether to go cowlingless with the Step holder (which I would need to acquire)

SBR the other factor that you are forgetting is that the VH skate is cowlingless this also improves the angle by which the goalie is able to plant an edge. The blade is probably not as high due to the fact that the holder is already 1/2 inch higher vs a Bauer cowling!

It would interesting to compare the 2 piece VH skate vs a Graf and a CCM - probably even higher?

Comment

• That is not a factor I forgot.

Comment

• Can anyone take this height measurement on the 2 piece Bauer skate?

Comment

• I played many years with the One/100, tried the 1S, but the boot hurt my ankles. I just received the 2 piece VH today. They don't seem higher to me, and really, most people buy higher blades on the Bauer Vertexx cowlings to get a better attack angle. I don't think the height between the ice and the boot is that big of a deal. The toe cap on the VH is nearly half the height of the 1S toe cap, so this might have affect the placement of my pads. I will find out soon. Another odd thing is that the Step Steel holder is designed for a 3mm blade, but Step Steel has a hybrid 3/4mm for VH. The top inserted part of the blade is 3mm to the holder line, and the rest is 4mm. It makes me wonder why they didn't simply make a 3mm blade for goalies.

Comment

• They claim that all but a couple pros are using 4mm.
                  I assume they don't think there's enough of a market for 3mm goalie steel if 4mm is available

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Blanchard View Post
                    I played many years with the One/100, tried the 1S, but the boot hurt my ankles. I just received the 2 piece VH today. They don't seem higher to me, and really, most people buy higher blades on the Bauer Vertexx cowlings to get a better attack angle. I don't think the height between the ice and the boot is that big of a deal. The toe cap on the VH is nearly half the height of the 1S toe cap, so this might have affect the placement of my pads. I will find out soon. Another odd thing is that the Step Steel holder is designed for a 3mm blade, but Step Steel has a hybrid 3/4mm for VH. The top inserted part of the blade is 3mm to the holder line, and the rest is 4mm. It makes me wonder why they didn't simply make a 3mm blade for goalies.
                    Steve the VH blade holder was not developed for goalie skates but for player skates - this is why you have a 3MM width on the part that goes into the holder and also the curved front and back end mimmick player skate blades!

​Most if not all goalers in the NHL wearing a 2 piece VH skate are using the Bauer blade holder from their new cowling less skates which are 3MM if I am not mistaken??

Comment

Working...
                    X