VH Goalie Skates - These things are Freakin Awesome

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VH Goalie Skates - These things are Freakin Awesome

Just a quick comment on my VH goalie skates. Three years ago I was about to pull the trigger on ordering my third pair of fully custom skates from one of the big players, but two days before order day, I suffered a concussion while doing a home reno and was out for over 2 years.

Finally I got back to the ice this year and pulled out my completely worn out Grafs and started to play again. I finally bit the bullet just before Christmas and treated myself to a pair of VH skates after doing a ton of research.

My need for custom skates was driven by the stupid wide and flat feet my parents blessed me with. My last pair of Grafs created quite the round of laughter when the tracings were sent to the factory. The guy making them actually called the store to say he was not sure he could make a skate wide enough that would fit into the cowling. Guess what he was right, they were never quite wide enough

So here I was 50 years and excited as anything to be ordered my skates. I met with Scott's sales guy here in Toronto, did the photos and tracing and waited for my new skates. In just over a week they arrived and man was I amazed at how light they were, Sad to say my flat foot was still a problem Scott told me to send them back and he would do some work on them. Couple more days and they were back but still did not feel right. This time Scott suggested I make a set of molds of my feet and send those with the skates and he would gladly make me another pair.

A week went by and the second pair arrived and wow, I had died and gone to heaven. I have to say in 40 years of playing these are hands down the best and most comfortable skates I have ever worn. Finally as I play out my career my feet don't hurt. ITs amazing how much that helps your game. I totally notice how light they are on the ice and how I can almost feel the ice. I love them

Colin

Originally posted by rebuiltgroin View Post
    ...This time Scott suggested I make a set of molds of my feet and send those with the skates and he would gladly make me another ...
    Where did you have that done? I mentioned custom skates, made from tracings, to the owner of the LHS and the owner said it's not worth it b/c all they do is add a bit around the tracing and you really aren't getting something custom made to your foot. He recommended going to a place that does custom molds for Grafs if I really wanted custom skates. That gave me the idea of getting custom molds to send to Scott, but the recommended place is 130 miles away and I don't know if they'd do it. So I have been trying to figure out if there is another source for getting molds done.

Comment

• rebuiltgroin
      rebuiltgroin commented
      Editing a comment
      If your looking at the vh skates I would call Scott to discuss your situation. My feet are so Incredibly flat that any arch or pressure from the side of the boot is unbearable. With Scott's suggestion I went to a health supply store and bought the plaster used to make casts and made casts of my feet. I also got the custom carbon footbeds from Scott. Once I got the skates Back I had to heat them a couple of times to get things right but oh man, it's right now. Last week I played four games in one day realized at the end of the day that not once did I even think of me feet hurting. That's A first and sure makes it easier than when they hurt.

I'll try to post some pics if I can

• bunnyman666
      bunnyman666 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd never do custom from a tracing, myself. rebuiltgroin IS correct that you could cast your feet at home with help. Going to the place that does the moulds for Grafs would just be able to do it quicker. I'd bet that if you dangled a bit of money, they would do it. If I didn't feel confident doing it myself, I'd make the drive; after all- $800 is a lot of money for a somewhat custom skate.

Hobbit ancestry?

I have the flat foot problem too =(

Comment

These are on my to obtain list.. when the time comes i would like to get molds made and sent to him.
      why not?? we do head molds for masks.. why not foot molds for skates?
      Cheers
      jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
        These are on my to obtain list.. jim
        Mine as well both goalie and skater, although I haven't completely ruled out GX1s. Waiting for my rich uncle to start kicking out some coin.

Comment

I would rule out the GX1s and go for the VH's. GX1's are stock skates and there are plenty of high end skates that are good if not better. I don't think there is anything better than custom.

Comment

Originally posted by bubba17 View Post
            I would rule out the GX1s and go for the VH's. GX1's are stock skates and there are plenty of high end skates that are good if not better. I don't think there is anything better than custom.
            I have noticed that since they hit the store shelves enthusiasm for the GX1s has been underwhelming. Found this which makes it sound as if doing your own foot cast isn't that difficult.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make...t-preparation/

Comment

I've had both Bauer and Graf "custom skates in the past, in fact when I was in university I was able to go to the Bauer factor that at the time was still in Kitchener, it was like stepping back in time.,. Great experience but not the best fit, same thing for my Grafs. The big difference with the VH skates is the last is totally custom to your foot, instead of some cobbled together skate from what they already have. I love them

Comment

• bunnyman666
                bunnyman666 commented
                Editing a comment
                After comparing the prices of Bauer custom skates to VH, I think the Bauer custom is a rip-off. No 100% custom lasts, just customised as well as possible. So what? You can get Nexus tongues and Vapor boots on a Supreme last? Wow. But I know more than a couple of people that DESPITE measuring properly, etc., etc., they had an okay skate not quite worth the $1K price tag. Others were over the moon with their custom Bauers, especially having such things like a Nexus tongue with a Vapor boot. Note that I don't know many goalies with custom skates...

I actually just had my feet molded for orthodics a couple weeks ago. The casting was included with my orthodics, so I'm going to ask for the mold when they are done . I went to a Chiropodist, the process took maybe 30 mins from start to finish. The orthodics will be expensive at 475$, but I'll send the cast off that to Scott when I round up the funds. Its covered by my work benefits, so zero out of pocket.

Comment

The only reason why they would want to keep the moulds is so that they can reproduce the orthotic. But I would think it is your right to have it. Was it a proper plaster cast or the "step in foam" style? I don't know if step in foam wouldn't end up destroyed when making the orthotic mould.

When I got my ear moulds for IEM's, the moulds were given back automatically.

Comment

Full foot casting with plaster. My feet are so flat those step in boxes are as effective as a foot tracing.

Comment

• bunnyman666
                    bunnyman666 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No reason for you not to get those back, then.

sounds like my feet except that the box is pretty much my foot Perhaps I can attach blades to a shoe box

Comment

Did you go with the Bauer cowling that he offers?

Comment

yup,i went with the Bauer cowling and love it compared to my old grafs. When the blades are sharp i can hear them cut into the ice like I never did with my grafs. The lean angle is way better as well, no more slip out when my boot hits the ice

Comment

Hi all

I finally found the pics of my feet and the casts I made. Could my feet be any flater?

Comment

Working...
                        X