X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reebok re-released P-1 Chest/Arm review

Every once in a while you try/buy a product that just works. The funny thing is that it isnít really a new product but something that has been used for quite some time. Itís only when you have one yourself and use it that you realize that the hype and positive reviews were actually justified. There is nothing worse than when you are excited to get a new product and it disappoints once put into a situation where it is supposed to used for better performance and protection.

Enter the re-released Reebok P-1 chest and arm. Now, Iím no real stranger to this unit. Iíve seen It around for years and Iíve used a couple of different incarnations of it. One of those being the retail green Reebok C/A from several years ago which was not my favorite piece as the time and the CCM Gatkeeper C/A which was excellent and still sees duty today as it was inherited by my nephew from me. He loves it and wonít wear anything else.

Back in March of last year, our store was given the very unique opportunity of receiving 16 of these custom built C/A units from Reebok. The positive part was that they were built in Canada at the then operating CCM plant. The caveat was that they werenít cheap but again when you considered they were built very well, I didn't have an issue with it, nor did the other 15 goalies who purchased them. I was able to spec a single required change to mine thanks to my longtime friend and contact at CCM being Sonya DiBiase.

What transpired now is that almost a year later, I am still completely happy and content with the unit. It has been solid, very protective, very mobile and very comfortable in all facets. This is a C/A that is designed to be worn inside the pants. It moves up and down with your body and stays hugged to you when playing. Iíve also found it to very protective in the rib areas as well as the upper bicep area where one can get frequent stingers if the C/A isnít adequately padded. Now, stingersÖ..pretty much these days, we are all wimps compared to the goalies of yesterday who used to use the deer hair t-shirts and modified umpire pad. Those things separated the men from the boys. Kudos to anyone who dawned them in their time.

Thankfully these models are made with a black nylon base. My last C/A had a lot of white in it and thus, you know what happens with white when the sweat starts. This unit itself looks and is very basic with a solid build. Blocks are HD foam laminate with a thin lexan piece on top of each block. All bindings and stitching is spot on and perfect.

Looking at the backside of the C/A you'll immdiately notice 2 things. #1....the very protective elbow caps. These work fabulous, especially when you drop to a scrample and land on your elbow. They have been part of this line since it's introduction. Other C/A units I have had have simply used an hd cap foam that was moulded to the elbow shape. This is fine and works but isn't as protective or as solid. The other thing is the strapping setup. At first when I used this in an earlier version, I used to disconnect the straps and just let them float outside, but then I realized my error it's intended purpose, to keep it closer to your body. It works great! It's designed to be tucked in.

Closer inspection of the back shows #2 - the adjustment of the two shoulder cap pulldowns. This allows the top of each cap to pull down and hug the body. I like the C/A closer to my chest and this definitely helps keep it there instead of floating outwards. This is one of those features that really made this the C/A for me. The back cap also houses a nice piece of HD foam in case that hotdog forward (who still thinks he has a chance at a "walk on" contract with the Leafs) decides to drive you into the post with his candy move across crease as you take his feet out from under him with the seldom used but deadly pokecheck.

Lower inspection of the backside of the C/As bellypad shows a nice conforming piece that is very protective and literally wraps around your rib area while still maintaining great frontal coverage.

Elbow floater left and right. Both provide adequate protection. Never felt anything through them as of yet. I find them great at trapping those 6-hole shots through your side. They really grab the puck nicely when you squeeze it. Like anything else....timing is always everything and anticipation seems to be even more important as you age in the net!

The rib protection on this unit is superb! Laminated HD skin foam blocks with a lexan insert on top of them. Tried, tested and true.

The composite chest piece shown above really does a great job of protecting the heart and sternum area. This is a carbonfibre weave material which is epoxied onto an hd foam insert. Works perfectly!

Below....This was the central area that I had beefed up. The bicep. I'm not sure how many folks have ever had that stinger of a shot that can literally numb your arm but I have! I play against some current and retired NHL players in the summer months and let me tell you, when that shot hits, you had better be ready for it. OUCH! Haven't felt a thing yet with this. With great protection comes great confidence and this really helps!

This is the loop area for the strapping that I was referring to in the earlier part of this blog. When I previously used a similar version of this, I pulled the loops out, mistakenly removing their central functionality of keeping that chest snug to the body. You can see that I have left them to their intended purpose here.

This area was a bone of contention on some older models. I remember specifically that mine tore here after only a few months. On this unit, it is triple stitched and they use a higher grade canvas strap (on mine at least...my friend has an elastic strap on his) to hold things in place. Haven't had any issue with it, even with the constant movement in the area with my suspenders in place.

On some C/A units, the area directly underneath the shoulder floater is often neglected due to the assumption that the floater will protect adequately due to it being a stiff HD foam protection area. On this C/A, they kept the same construction underneath as on the other areas of the C/A. Suffice to say, it's pretty bulletproof in this area.

The last area worth mentioning is this one....I actually like how things are laced in here. There are some folks with a longer arm. Depending upon the size of the C/A, you could extend the length of the arm piece by putting a bit of slack into the lacing at this area. Doing so would not remove the protection afforded provided that it was only a small amount you were adding. You can see that I've added a very slight bit of slack to mine and I haven't had any issues.

Ah....yes....the Made In Canada tag. This is a coveted piece with this type of gear these days. I was very lucky to receive one and very thankful as well!

Now, as I pointed out earlier, we received 16 of these units and they were gone within a day. Our goaltending staff at the store put a pitch into the Source For Sports team who negotiated with Reebok for us to get more of these units at a lower price. The one caveat is that the new units will be made overseas. However, they will be using the same materials and construction pieces.

We will have them in stock for sale at some point in April.

If they turn out as nice as my P-4 pads did, then there will not be any issues with them and you won't be able to tell the difference. I'm going to actively test one of them along with this one and will report back my findings in the future!

Comment

So thesE are made for under the pants? I have a c/a similar to this and it fits in crouch but when I sprawl or stand out it comes way up. The guy sized me for a medium but I'm 5'11 so I thought that was weird.

Comment

Lexan? How thick is it (the lexan) and it is OVER the foam blocks? Great review found it very informative and unbiased, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by N0blefart View Post
          So thesE are made for under the pants? I have a c/a similar to this and it fits in crouch but when I sprawl or stand out it comes way up. The guy sized me for a medium but I'm 5'11 so I thought that was weird.
          There is a loop on the abdominal area that you can run a strap through to keep it in your pants.

Comment

I've said it once and i'll say it again, this is THE MOST overrated c/a out there!! I got bruised ribs playing in my all black P1!! Dumped that POS the day after and haven't looked back in my TGC spec'd Bauer Ultra Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by stitcheboy View Post
              I've said it once and i'll say it again, this is THE MOST overrated c/a out there!! I got bruised ribs playing in my all black P1!! Dumped that POS the day after and haven't looked back in my TGC spec'd Bauer Ultra Pro.
              That's the trade-off...

You trade protection for a dampening.

The Bauer while a great CA doesn't dead-stop the puck like a P1 does.

Ironically, any pro with this unit wears protection under the unit but...It is what it is.

Isn't TGC getting a shipment in April, too? -- Anyway, can't wait for the re-release and great review, sir.

Comment

will you be getting any sr small ones?

Comment

Originally posted by stitcheboy View Post
                  You also where using a used one stitch. I have this unit and rotate between it and my 5500 Osgood. Both are nice but I do get stomach stingers in both and have not really found a cure (I guess it is good I am getting hit in the gut). Shoulders and arms though are real solid on both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Brebs32 View Post
                    You also where using a used one stitch. I have this unit and rotate between it and my 5500 Osgood. Both are nice but I do get stomach stingers in both and have not really found a cure (I guess it is good I am getting hit in the gut). Shoulders and arms though are real solid on both of them.
                    Sorry Brebs but i've worn P1's that had WAY more use on them than the all black P1 and i never got bruised ribs from them?! I'll NEVER wear 1 ever again!!

Comment

the P4 looks as though it may fix some of those stinger problems with the longer sternum piece and shoulder floaters. I like the looks of it, itll most likely be between that and the v5 for my next chesty

Comment

for some reason, mine has a very thin plastic (I assume it's lexan as I had another similar unit apart) on areas in the centre blocks at the abdomen. I'm assuming they beefed this area up as well as a bonus on mine? Strange, because another one that my friend has doesn't have those pieces on it.

I don't know Pete....I tried that Bauer unit in the summer with the NHL guys and I ran the other way. This one, no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Gasman View Post
                          for some reason, mine has a very thin plastic (I assume it's lexan as I had another similar unit apart) on areas in the centre blocks at the abdomen. I'm assuming they beefed this area up as well as a bonus on mine? Strange, because another one that my friend has doesn't have those pieces on it.

I don't know Pete....I tried that Bauer unit in the summer with the NHL guys and I ran the other way. This one, no issues.
                          Paul,
                          My all black P1 (which i bought off a buddy of mine who played in the ECHL) definitely didn't have lexan on any of the body blocks... It kinda felt more like a memory foam. That's weird about the UP chesty... I'll admit the shoulders need more beefing up but other than that i've have ZERO issues with it. A buddy of mine who plays in juniors is wearing 1 and other than the shoulder protection issues he could't be happier with it. Very odd... I really like how the Sub Z chesty looks
                          Last edited by stitcheboy; 02-20-2012, 07:25 AM.

Comment

I really like how the Sub Z chesty looks
                            Can't argue with that....looks like a nice piece!

Comment

I think the big difference would be in rebound control vs. protection. Memory foam would be less protection BUT absorb the pucks energy leading to the puck "dying" when it hit. Lexan would be awesome for protection but I would imagine that the hardness would create big rebounds (think the rink glass). Maybe a pro would accept less protection, planning on glove/blocker, for better rebound management?

Comment

Working...
                              X