Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Pick ups Vaughn XF Pro V7's (with Pic)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pick ups Vaughn XF Pro V7's (with Pic)

Hey guys,
    Coming from RBK XLT's which I have been using for a couple of years now. Love those gloves. The XLT Catcher is good but I always wondered if some of my pop outs were because of that single T combined with bad technique. I wanted to try something out of my usual comfort zone. I only play about 4 to 6 times a month so going Pro level was not worth it for me at all. I wear CCM Eflex 860 pads and love those Senior level pads. Great Construction and love the functionality.

I have been a Vaughn T5500 guy. Loved that iteration from the early 2000's. Ventus LT98 from 2 years ago and Velo's just didnt fit my hand good but I was impressed with the strapping on the hand with XF Pros. I could actually get it nice and snug without much play.

The Pocket is very nice, very deep, and I think it's due to that Double-T. Will hit the ice with these in a few days. I am very curious on how they will perform.

Last edited by Dharmaboy; 11-27-2016, 04:04 PM.

Mini Review -

Well I picked these up a few weeks ago and now have had a chance to hit the ice for 2 skates total.

Catcher - I would say the catcher fits on the looser side.Curse of Vaughn catchers on my hands. I measured my hands and they fit senior size but maybe a touch smaller so I have to really utilize the strapping to the max. Out of the box it closed like butter put some heat into it and it was fine. They baked it at the hockey shop and it came out amazing. Fairly light glove compared to my XLT Pro. The pocket is big with the Double-T. The puck hits the pocket very soft. Almost tough to tell if it's in there. I had to look a few times to make sure it was in as I coudln't even tell.

Been suffering from some wrist tendonitis due to weight lifting so I was pleased that my wrist didnt feel and tension or torque when catching pucks. I am not the best catcher anymore. I feel my eyes are not what they used to be given my age and I used to rely on my reflexes honed from years of ball hockey to catch pucks. Its a good blocking surface with the cuff. I haven't had any squeez through yet.

Now to the beef. This glove will not fit well for high level hockey if you get shots in the palm. I felt a good stinger from one of my team mates who has one of the best shots in our division and it stung for a bit. It's the trade off. Little annoyed that Vaughn can't beef up the palm a little bit more for a rec goalie. I think they are notorious for this. Glove is fine otherwise I could use a small beef up option for cheap. (anyone know of any that can do it for me let me know)

Blocker - The blocker is a blocker. Fairly light. I felt the board is a bit soft so maybe something to pay attention to the more I use it. Middle finger is connected to the knuckle guard which is a little annoying for me as I like to grab my mask from the grill and lift it up but maybe the elastic holding the guards to the finger will loosen up. As the synthetic leather is lighter than the pro level, I kinda felt my stick a little slippery when in stance. so I will have to add some grippyness to my sticks.

Comment

You could try wearing a fingerless work-style glove with padding on the palm, inside your glove. Especially since you already said it was a loose fit. That way, if you didn't like it, you haven't changed anything with the glove itself. Just a thought. I have done that with mine and it works well. I just found some normal work gloves and cut the fingers off.

Comment

This is why I would always go with a pro level glove. Blocker isn't much of a big deal nor are pads if you're not playing much. A glove will always need good protection though. If you have any down time maybe send it to someone who mods gear and have them add a Maltese palm or some other extra protection in the palm.

Comment

Originally posted by SaveByRichter35 View Post
          This is why I would always go with a pro level glove. Blocker isn't much of a big deal nor are pads if you're not playing much. A glove will always need good protection though. If you have any down time maybe send it to someone who mods gear and have them add a Maltese palm or some other extra protection in the palm.

Yeah I took your advice and sold the gloves. You would think that Mid tier would have good not decent protection at the Senior level of catcher that you would assume deteriorate over time. Alas this is not so, and I wonder how I managed to play with crap Senior level gear for so long when I started out.

Looking for Carbon XF catcher only. That's all I can probably afford for now.

Comment

No disrespect but I've never understood the concept of double or single T helping with popouts. Once the puck is in the pocket it just shouldn't come out. I just think it is a looks preference, maybe a bit of a different feel. Although I think that skate lace has a bigger impact on feel. The art is in the shape of the palm and the thumb (especially the thumb) to direct pucks to the pocket, that can really affect popouts.

Agreed, it is good to spend that extra money on the pro level catch glove.

Comment

Originally posted by Zipper View Post
              No disrespect but I've never understood the concept of double or single T helping with popouts. Once the puck is in the pocket it just shouldn't come out. I just think it is a looks preference, maybe a bit of a different feel. Although I think that skate lace has a bigger impact on feel. The art is in the shape of the palm and the thumb (especially the thumb) to direct pucks to the pocket, that can really affect popouts.

Agreed, it is good to spend that extra money on the pro level catch glove.

I don't think the T's help with pop outs but I felt the pocketing felt a little softer.

Comment

Working...
              X