No announcement yet.

Brian's Gnetik 5.5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought the 5.0 / 5.5 was a pro pad made in China, is it actually senior level?

Comment

Originally posted by walkerdb7 View Post
      I thought the 5.0 / 5.5 was a pro pad made in China, is it actually senior level?
      It's a senior level pad made in the Phillipines, but according to Brian's, is made with 90% of the same materials as the domestic made pro pad.

Comment

The core is essentially the same inside the pad. It's the outside that has the biggest difference. Knee blocks are thinner, no primo, less quality nylons, or nylon used in place of leather, etc etc.

The first GNetik was always panned for being TOO Rigid. That thighrise shouldn't get sloppy any time soon.

Comment

I've been using my 5.0 for a year now. Awesome pad, initially I was concerned about the smart strap system but it's now ruined me for other pads. I love it and don't see any reason to change. These are a senior pad but one of the best built senior pad I've ever seen. They are holding up well with no significant wear. The only thing I might prefer is a slightly softer knee block other than that I love these pads. to answer the question the thigh rise is still nice and solid.

Comment

I've had about 6 games in the pads now and while they are quite a bit taller than my Vaughns, I've adapted and played better than I expected frankly. But not that they've been flawless. I have had some minor issues:

1. With my narrow butterfly the pads stick out in a /\ shape in front of me and sometimes my stick gets caught underneath the pads when I go down.
            2. My right knee slips off the landing block when I go down in butterfly hard to my left. I've tightened up the knee strap more which helps a little but it still happens. For whatever reason I don't have the same issue with my left pad when going right. I tried doing the knee strap in the Price style, ie. diagonally down to the calf, and it hindered my skating. It rotates the pad just enough that the thigh rises rub when I skate. I read where someone had the same problem when doing the knee strap this way.
            3. The Smart toe straps work well, but my RBK skates don't have the middle post, which I didn't realize at first, so at the end of the game I found that the toe strap had slid forward causing excess slack at the toe. Surprisingly it didn't slip off. So now I use the back post which makes the straps very tight and I think it's causing a bit of strain now in my ankle & knees. I need that middle post. Or shorter straps. Or longer straps.
            4. The boot strap is a bit finicky to do up and remove. I probably just need a bit of practice but it's hard to fit the rubber end through the plastic buckle one-handed to do up. And when removing it, the rubber end gets caught up in the buckle. If the rubber end was narrower it would be easier to feed through, and if it sat flush on the strap it would be easier to pull it back through. I played the first few games with the strap as it came and it was so loose that it didn't really do anything but I figured out how to adjust the length before my last game. Having said that, I may just spare myself the frustrations and remove it.
            5. One minor QC issue to report - the rubber strap wasn't sewn on completely on my left calf strap. Rod at TGC said that he will get me a replacement. Other than that, I agree that it is a very well made pad.

Overall - They rotate very well even when worn tightly, seal up along the ice and give big rebounds. Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes not. They're quite a bit stiffer than what you would believe from the marketing though, especially for a hybrid pad, from the knee all the way to the thigh rise. My Vaughns and Simmons 994 pads both had a thigh strap to pull the thigh rise in to close the 5-hole. These don't, but given how stiff it is, I doubt it would be very effective without a lot of break-in work. At $700 these pads are a great value, especially considering that the 5.0 is still selling for $1000 at some places.

Comment

Stiffness might be the one snag with the G-Netik line for me. I'm guessing they'd play similar to my Reactor 4000, and while I didn't hate the Reactors I found my sloppy old Simmons to be much better suited to my game. The thigh rise did start loosening up after a season, but they probably would have needed a couple more seasons to get them to where I'd like them.

Comment

I was looking to purchase the G-Netik 5 or the Subzero 6 for my son. Do you know if the sizing is somewhat similar to Vaughn. He is 5'4" in Velocity V6 30+2 and they are about 2 inches to short so I was thinking 33+1. Does that sounds about right?

Comment

What's your son's ATK? Mine is 17.5" but I'm 5'10" in a 33+1.5. I think 33+1 would be too big for him. Best to give Rod a call.

Comment

Working...
                  X