X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sharp pain on inside ankle bone

I have started, over the past 2/3 skates, do develope and notice a sharp ankle pain on the bone. its on the inside, and mainly on the lower half. whenever i put my skate on, or whenever i apply pressure to the bone, it KILLS. I was wondering if there is anything i can do. i have tried even putting a 1" sweatband under the anklle to hold the side of the skate off mu ankle.

please help i need an answer FAST as i have a game tonight

tape it.... that is if you insist on playing....

smart thing to do is take 1-2 weeks off, ice and heat (mostly ice in the beginning)... if it still hurts then it's not swelling and potentially serious tendon or ligament damage....

Comment

I had a similar problem develop.

I noticed that thicker socks helped, but I also bought one of these and it has gone away.

Comment

I had this problem as well. I went to my Chiropractor who also happens to be the trainer for a local Junior team. He told me to go to a fabric store and get some 1" thick high density foam. Cut a piece down to the size of 3"x3". You can also round the corners of the piece to make it into a circle. Then with your knife, cut through the foam in the center and make another cut the other way so that it looks like a + . Put the foam over the ankle in your skate and it will relieve the pressure on the sore spot. Works great and costs only a couple of buxs. Problem is I find I need a new piece for every game as the foam breaks down quickly. I sit around watching hockey and make as many as I can out of the foam I bought then they are ready for upcoming games.

Comment

i have had this before and it comes up every once in a while. My doctor said it is a sore capsule. The capule is a tissue inside and around your bones that protects the joint. It hurt pulling my foot back and pushing it out. I had to stretch it ( calve stretch pushing against wall with feet stagered) and Ice it after physical activity 2 times at 20 minute intervals. Don't use heat. I also wore a lace up ankle brace around all day, and also on the ice in my skate. Get a lace up. Mine is a lace up with 3 straps(2 wrap around crossing each other and the other wrapping around the top of brace). As a matter of fact, I'm wearing it right now. I do recommend with the brace to put it on top of a half calve sock. hope this works.

Comment

Originally posted by vegasgoalie View Post
            I had a similar problem develop.

I noticed that thicker socks helped, but I also bought one of these and it has gone away.
            Anyone in the Lower Mainland area know where I could find these or something similar?

Comment

Many people on this forum have had or have this problem, myself included. I have tried various types of foams, etc. The only thing that I found helps is to keep the inside of the boot away from the ankle bone. So either put a piece of dense foam above the ankle and tie your skates up that way, or buy a maltese red pad. It is high density gel in the shape of a small rectangular box with the middle cut out. Your ankle bone sits in the cut out and the gel relieves the pressure of the boot around your ankle. This is what I am currently using and it works for me.

Comment

Ive just started to have the same affect but on the outside of my ankle.

I know its not the skates as Ive been wearing these for two years now and no problems. I've also noticed this problem while wearing my player skates too.

Im going to see a private doctor within the next couple of weeks, I'll be sure to post back on what he said.

Comment

I am still trying to find some ankle cushions like the picture I posted. Ever since I sprained both my ankles this summer I have developed the pain after playing.

So again, if anyone know where I could find some, let me know.

thx
                  Last edited by Spud387; 01-20-2010, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spud387 View Post
                    I am still trying to find some ankle cushions like the picture I posted. Ever since I sprained both my ankles this summer I have developed the pain after playing.

So again, if anyone know where I could find some, let me know.

thx
                    I ordered those exact ones from their site, great product. Not sure if you can get them anywhere else, you probably can but I haven't come across any yet.

Bunga Malleolar Sleeve

Comment

Originally posted by Horizon38 View Post
                      I ordered those exact ones from their site, great product. Not sure if you can get them anywhere else, you probably can but I haven't come across any yet.

Bunga Malleolar Sleeve
                      Is it one size fits all? I see it says size small and large, but with weird sizes and I don't see where I can select size...

How do you find them? Why did u decide to get them?

Comment

Originally posted by Spud387 View Post
                        Is it one size fits all? I see it says size small and large, but with weird sizes and I don't see where I can select size...

How do you find them? Why did u decide to get them?
                        It was a long time ago so I'm not sure if I selected a size or not?

They are great, I've tried a few different things. First let me tell you why I was looking for something.

The tongue of my skates for some reason tend to turn sideways, must be the shape of my foot. So, the eyelets become exposed to my ankle and I don't wear socks. It was pretty painful to have sharp metal digging into your ankle so I started looking for something to cover that area.

First off I tried what was readily available to me and that was neoprene ankle braces. They did a great job protecting my ankle from the eyelet but also made my feet really sore and tired because it changed how my boot fit. I still wanted something more comfortable.

Next thing I did was make little leather washers out of some Jenpro I had lying around to fit over the eyelets. They helped at first but also began moving out of position.

I then ordered Maltese Reds but they were a lot thicker than I thought so they were out (turned out great as I sewed them into my knee pads to soften the landing, they are great).

I did a search on here for lace bit/ankle pain and someone mentioned these Bunga Pads. I did a google search and came across the site. That was the end of it, found those, ordered them and have been using them ever since. They stay in place extremely well and fit well in the skate.

Now, I don't know how well they will perform for sprains or other ankle problems but they work very well for what I used them for.

Comment

I had this too, it turned out to be a damanged tendon, what i did was found some hard foam like the one in goalie mask i cut it into a circle slightly larger than my ankle and then cut a circle within the circle that allowed the ankle bone to rest inside of this hole, kinda like a ankle bone donut you may have to cut down the foam so its no too thick, it worked like a charm.. Turns out it was from ill fittng graf goaler pro 750s. The guy at the sports store said take a ruler run it along the edge of the skates halfway down along the instep, the ruler should touch the inside and outside of the skate and not hit any part of the meat along the top of the foot..I bought some RBK 9k which fits a thicker ankle better and the pain went away and stopped completely and the pump allows me to inflate to ensure no pain.. Hope this helps you get some form of relief because i know what it feels like to have a sore ankle while in goalie skates, worst part, going down into a butterfly.

Comment

Originally posted by DANObp392 View Post
                            whenever i apply pressure to the bone, it KILLS.
                            For you, or others in the same boat:

Stop playing. Have it looked at.

Pain is your friend. It's an important message. There are times when you can make an informed decision about the risks and ignore pain, but there's no time when you should ignore the pain without knowing what's causing it.

Comment

Originally posted by spydurman View Post
                              The guy at the sports store said take a ruler run it along the edge of the skates halfway down along the instep, the ruler should touch the inside and outside of the skate and not hit any part of the meat along the top of the foot..
                              Any chance you can explain this a bit more clearly? I think it's good advice, but I don't quite follow...

I am having wicked ankle pain/swelling on my inside ankle bone (medial malleolus), that seems to stem from pressure on the bone from the skate. It started with my old skates (CCM 1252), but has continued to be a problem in my new skates (Graf 750's). I took two-months off in-order to rest and heal, but after having played for the past couple of nights, it's still no better. I am at the point where I am nervous to keep playing as it is pretty swollen, and I don't really want a permanent bump on the inside of my ankle.

I went to a podiatrist last week, and am having custom orthotics made up (I pronate a fair bit, and need them for work as well), but I'm not convinced they will completely fix the problem. I am happy to buy new skates if that'll fix it, but I am not sure that the skates are the problem.

Any advice anyone can provide is appreciated. I will try the tips above, and may order Reds from Phil and that ankle sleeve, but I'd way rather fix the problem at the 'core' rather than pad around it, if that makes sense...

Comment

Working...
                              X