Best chest protector

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best chest protector

Hey every one, Im in the market for new chest armour. My old equipment is to bulky and makes me feel like Giguere looks. I would be wearing around a medium size of gear. Im looking to spend any where up to $300 canadian.

My question is, what is a brand/model that is both light weight and feels like its a part of your body? Any help would be appreciated. There are alot of stores to buy from in Calgary now, but the folks working dont exactly seem to have special knowledge of the gear they sell.

I know I can just go in and try some stuff on, but i figure that if some of you have played in said protectors, your input would be much more effective than just slapping it on.

hey man. try seaching around the site. theres usually a ton of info.

my .2,

Koho 700/680 ftw! its an old style chest protector with enough protection to protect your internal organs, but tight fitting and mobile.

Comment

I have the CCM Gatekeeper pro. I absolutly love that chest protector. It's lightweight, and has really good wraparound rib protection. If you don't need pro spec, I recommend it for sure. I think that the x-pulse c/a is cery similar, as that line is the evolution of CCM after RBK took over

Comment

Best chest protector is a father with a double barrel shotgun.

Comment

Reebok X-Pulse, Koho 700

Comment

If you could spring a little more cash, I recommend *******, or if funds are more limited try McKenney. Both are high quality pieces of equipment - read the reviews in the board. If money is no object, then Mr Brown will fill the bill but you sacrifice mobility and weight (however if Zedno Chara lets one go at this unit, you will be in a total tank). Hockey Geeks, Majer, Dukes, etc. have McKenney. Mr ******* can be contacted through his web site. I was using a Vaughn 3700 which is not too bad but if you are facing boomers there are better choices. Never got hurt in it but there were shots that made me start thinking there is a better way to do this game and be safe. Currently am in a ******** Matrix 3 and am pleased with it but it is on the bulky side a bit. Unfortunately it seems to have gone out of production which is really a shame - superb rib protection, good mobility/flexibility and it is modelled after the RBK unit. It was all of $249 when I bought it. Take a look at ******** other units as well. Another possibility are the units made by Boddam - he has a web site where you can get info and buy direct from him as well or from his dealer in Hamilton, On Ice Goalie Training. Remember, safety and protection (in my opinion) should be your priority - all it takes is a sneaky puck to ruin your day.

Comment

Brown, period.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. I dont mind spending money on goalie gear at all, infact its my weakness. But since im only going to be playing shinny and mabye a beer league and then roller hockey, I dont think I need something to expensive. I do play with a few WHLers but no one really takes any full on slap shots.

Comment

brown is the only chest protector i'd ever wear...

Comment

Brown........FTW

Comment

No such thing as the best C/A. It's all in what your looking for. It can be the best for one, and the worst for another.

Comment

RBK makes good C/A's as long as you go with the pro models

Comment

I just grabbed a X-pulse pro for 200 bucks shipped on the monkey after tons of research.....love it!!!! Mobile...tons of protection. Plus had money left over for a new blocker.

Comment

I've only bought the pro versions of my C/A's and have tried all sorts of brands and the best advice I have is go high end if you can and pick the one that fits best and offers the most mobility without compromising protection. I finally settled down with an RBK Premier Pro because the length in the torso is great and that has always been tough for me to find. I am 6"3' and some XL c/A's just dont give me the coverage I needed. Try to get to a local store and try some on.

Comment

Originally posted by Sudden Death View Post
                              Reebok X-Pulse, Koho 700
                              How would you compare the x-pulse to the 700? I have the sr version right now and love it, but am looking to get a second c/a and i like the reviews i've read so far...

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X