X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermal skate blades

I did a search on this and came up with nothing. I could just be using the wrong keywords to search, but like I said nothing came up so I apologize if their is another thread about it. Does anyone know who the 4 players wearing the thermal blades are? I know Lapointe was named as one of them on NHL on the Fly a few weeks ago, and I believe they mentioned someone on the Sens as well. Does anyone know the other 3 players? Have there been any other updates on the progress of how these are turning out?

http://www.goaliestore.com/board/hoc...ed-blades.html

The key word is: "Thermablade". On a side note, I saw one at TheHockeyShop today. Looked like it would break if I tried hard enough to snap it....

Comment

One of them is Marty Reasoner.

Consensus is that the heating elements of ThermaBlades do absolutely nothing. The 'science' behind them is completely unsubstantiated, and every test-case so far has been subject to the placebo effect. There are a couple of unusual things about the steel used that account for any perceived differences in skating - good or bad - that aren't covered by the good old placebo. Key point: this is NOT a heated Tuuk, Custom+, LSP2 or otherwise. They're actually closest to the old Perfectas.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePM View Post
        http://www.goaliestore.com/board/hoc...ed-blades.html

The key word is: "Thermablade". On a side note, I saw one at TheHockeyShop today. Looked like it would break if I tried hard enough to snap it....
        thats ridiculous, that is just a case of you trying to find problems with it with no actual substance.

i saw them at united cycle here in edmonton. and if it is possible for a white tuuk/holder to LOOK weaker than any other holder, this one does not fit the part.

my only question is whether or not these things are worth the 550$ or whatever the going rate is. i think that most people will be equally as skeptical as myself, which is FAR too skeptical to front that kind of money for something that doesn't seem like it will improve your game all that much.

Comment

Originally posted by snooz View Post
          thats ridiculous, that is just a case of you trying to find problems with it with no actual substance.
          So an observation is now considered 'ridiculous'? Ok....

Comment

perfecta blades

little wonder Gretz is hyping them so much !!

Comment

Originally posted by ThePM View Post
              So an observation is now considered 'ridiculous'? Ok....
              yes, its ridiculous to look at a holder and say that it looks breakable. its a simple white holder, it looks just like the tuuk and easton holder. how can it LOOK more breakable than the other holders?

Comment

Don't know if it was mentioned but I believe Marian Hossa is wearing them.

Comment

Originally posted by snooz View Post
                  yes, its ridiculous to look at a holder and say that it looks breakable. its a simple white holder, it looks just like the tuuk and easton holder. how can it LOOK more breakable than the other holders?
                  Probably the same way the Bauer XXX cowling looks more breakable than the CCM/Koho ones.

Comment

i would say that one NOW looks more breakable because there have been issues with it actually cracking.

i haven't heard of any issues with this holder cracking, plus there is the fact that it looks pretty much the same as any other white holder.

i just don't see how one can question the durability of it simply by looking at it, especially when it looks the same as every other white holder.

thats all i really have to say about this, its a pretty cut and dry point of view.

Comment

The story is they provide a faster 1st 3 steps or so (top end remains about the same) This is according to stories I've read on them .....

I'm curious if anybody has any "personal" reports on how they work..... or if they chew the ice up any more then regular skates.....

I'm surprised they aren't heavy, the battery apparently will hold a charge for between 2-3 hrs ....

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker908 View Post
                        The story is they provide a faster 1st 3 steps or so (top end remains about the same) This is according to stories I've read on them .....
                        Here is what I haven't understood about these from the get-go.

First, I was under the impression that just what makes a skate blade work was still unproven.

Second, if this contraption works to lower the friction...how would they provide better acceleration? I could see them helping with top end speed (assuming the science is valid), but I would think the initial strides would not have as much power behind them due to less "grip" on the ice

Comment

Guy on my team got them over Christmas. Haven't turned him into Niedermayer yet.

In fact, like all gimmicks on pads, they broke in less than a month. One of his skates won't stay turned on, so he doesn't even use the thermal aspect.

Comment

Like I said, it's good steel.

If you're willing to pay $500 for good steel, you're out of your flipping mind, and I've got some time-shares in coastal Saskatchewan for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Law Goalie View Post
                              Like I said, it's good steel.

If you're willing to pay $500 for good steel, you're out of your flipping mind, and I've got some time-shares in coastal Saskatchewan for sale.
                              NASH has got some runners out that are supposed to be pretty decent, and won't break the bank.

Comment

Working...
                              X