any mage 2 users out there?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any mage 2 users out there?

I had a mage 2 shipped to my local store. I went to see it and am very "skeptical" to say the least about it's ability to protect the noggin on the head shots. It is not a pro.
    Also, I thought the bridge bar on the cage was stamped with "Sportmask" but not this one.
    Any helpers on this stuff?
    I did a search but didn't find anything specifc to the mage 2.
    Thanks

What specifically would make you skeptical about the protection? I took two head shots in mine today with no problems (it's also the standard model, not the pro). It's a great bucket IMO. I've had mine for around a year with absolutely no problems, and I get pegged in the head around once a week on average. Protection is great and vision is phenomenal (I've got the box cage, which I greatly prefer to a cateye). I was concerned about the standard/pro decision when I bought mine, and Tony told me he uses the standard model. Only the pro has the cage with the embossed center bar.

Comment

I have the semi pro, and since I got it almost right as soon a sit came out, it came wuth the wide center Sportmask bar. I'll post more tomorrow as, I just came home from a night with the boys, and I'm a bit blurey.

Ps: I have taken a ton of shots off the head with this , zero problems..period.......

Comment

Sorry for the delay, had a bit too much fun last night, and I'm paying for it with a well deserved headache .

Here are 2 pics of my Mage II , I have had it for one year so far. It came with the Sprotmask branded center bar, which was a nice touch. I'm not sure if the first series of Mage II's came with those cages, or if I just lucked out with it. I did not specifically request it, but it loos sharp.

I walked into Dukes wanting a Mage I , as I wanted to try something different from my old crappy Vic Mask. Right as soon as I tried on the Mage I , i felt that the chin area felt way too short for me , so I didn't get the Mage I. I am only playing rec/mens league hockey now(and various tourneys) , so I did not opt for the pro versions.
        I emailed Tony, and he said that he had just finished a prototype being called a Mage II. He was showing it at the Toronto Hockey show back in 2005.

I went back to Dukes when they had a demo in, and it seemed to address the concern I had with the chin area, the the vision was dynomite. I could see all over, by my feet, no problem all over, and not really heavy like my previous mask.

I palced my order, and I got the paint from Gary, which looks better in person, than the pics, it does really look like a live fire.

Because I am pretty short, playing last year in my Mage II, I got pegged in the head a lot, sometimes twice a night playing, and I have not had any concerns or ringing at all. The only extra I did with the headgear was I went with a Maltese gel backplate(ordered from Phil) , which has great cooling properties, and is nice and comfy. Even without the gel, I find it comfortable, but now I chill the gel before playing.

Be aware , and I hope you appreciate my honesty, the chin is still higher than a mask, that is why I opt for a dangler. I am used to it, but some people who do not wear danglers, may find it a tad short. I always tend to worry about deflections, and strange bounces if I am screened, and that is why I have always worn a dangler. But some may try this on , and say "wow, too short for me"

After using it for one year, I love it. Nothing in life is perfect, so I would give it a 9 out of 10. At the time of purchase, my choices were down to this product, and an Eddy GT ultimate. I found the mage II was different, and I really like the high vis properties of the item. I only bought the gel, and some sweatbands, and zero problems.

Please feel free to ask any questions, I'll try to answer. Or if you need a pic with it on my head......I'll try as soon as my hangover passes . : )

Comment

I didn't have the mage II but I have used a mage I for two or three years, and it was the VE, non-pro. I too get nailed in the head at least once a game and never had any problems of any sort.
          I did switch to a custom sportmask for next season due to a puck hitting me in the throat dispite wearing a dangler, and to be honest with the mask my vision is exactly the same as with the mage. I haven't gotten any game time in yet, but I've worn the Mask with my gear (much to my wife's amusement) and I anticipate the only area of "advantage" to the Mage is I think it is cooler.
          But I wouldn't worry at all about the level of protection of the Mage II aside from the previously mentioned shorter chin.

Comment

Originally posted by spidergoalie
            I haven't gotten any game time in yet, but I've worn the Mask with my gear (much to my wife's amusement) .
            lol. can u18 wear mage or mage II? becouse some1 said me that its illegal to use them in my age (14, -91) and now I'm confused....

Comment

Talk to me Chunky

[/QUOTE]Be aware , and I hope you appreciate my honesty, the chin is still higher than a mask, that is why I opt for a dangler. I am used to it, but some people who do not wear danglers, may find it a tad short. I always tend to worry about deflections, and strange bounces if I am screened, and that is why I have always worn a dangler. But some may try this on , and say "wow, too short for me"

After using it for one year, I love it. Nothing in life is perfect, so I would give it a 9 out of 10. At the time of purchase, my choices were down to this product, and an Eddy GT ultimate. I found the mage II was different, and I really like the high vis properties of the item. I only bought the gel, and some sweatbands, and zero problems.

Please feel free to ask any questions, I'll try to answer. Or if you need a pic with it on my head......I'll try as soon as my hangover passes . : )[/QUOTE]

I spoke to you earlier in the year and you showed me your lid then. My problem with it being too short in the jaw is that I wear RBK C/A and I find that a dangler gets caught up in it and messes with my mask. The C/A rides up and that is what causes the trouble.
              I'm not sure I can wear a dangler, unless I can find a way to keep my C/A from riding up.
              On that note, any suggestions?
              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by martyk
                I did a search but didn't find anything specifc to the mage 2.
                Thanks
                Gregan's post has some good responses, in addition to your thread.

To briefly answer your questions, the make-up of the standard Mage II/2/Two is protective and is the same as the Ricochet mask. There is a Ricochet test video on the Sportmask site to show what kinds of shots it can withstand. And like royfan33 said, the engraved Sportmask cage now only comes with the Mage II Pro.

If your concern is the dangler, you could buy a Sportmask mask and request extra vent holes like spidergoalie did and play without a dangler.
                Last edited by Lemieux; 06-03-2006, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sleep-O
                  lol. can u18 wear mage or mage II? becouse some1 said me that its illegal to use them in my age (14, -91) and now I'm confused....
                  The Mage and Mage II are NOT certified so no, I doubt you can use them.

Comment

you can use it

You just need to locate the CSA cert sticker and the cert sticker off the cage of another helmet
                    and stick them on the back plate and you are set.Very few refs even check and if you have stickers will let you play

Comment

Originally posted by Chunkienstin
                      Because I am pretty short
                      Shorty!!!

Comment

Originally posted by martyk
                        I'm not sure I can wear a dangler, unless I can find a way to keep my C/A from riding up.
                        On that note, any suggestions?
                        Thanks
                        Ever considered a Maltese combo? I wear one with my Ricochet mask (and no dangler). Very comfortable and protective.

Comment

Originally posted by booth
                          You just need to locate the CSA cert sticker and the cert sticker off the cage of another helmet
                          and stick them on the back plate and you are set.Very few refs even check and if you have stickers will let you play
                          I think a Mage or Mage 2 are very unique looking so refs are more likely to notice them than other headgear. "Borrowing" a csa sticker is not something I personaly would do but to each his own I guess.

Comment

i know....

Several goalies at bantam and midget level who have done this and have been able to use the mage for several seasons without being worried about being kicked out of a game for using a non certified helmet.I mean their is no other way around it .It would be a shame for a kid not to use this excellent piece of equipment due to the cost of certification process.

Comment

Originally posted by canadian_5001
                              Shorty!!!

Hey there, you DID still want a ride to the clinics right? keep it up. I see a bus in your future.

hehe

: )

Comment

Working...
                              X