X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best of the Shelf Street Hockey Gear

The street hockey league I play in at work needs to buy two new complete sets of goalie gear. What is the best, of the shelf street hockey goalie gear?

I don't want dorky kiddie pads that barely hit the knee, and gloves that look like napkins, I want some solid stuff that will fit someone around 6 foot and won't break the bank wide open.

I don't want to search ebay, I don't want to look for used ice hockey gear... I just want to go to one site/store, order everything and be done with it.

Anyone have any recomendations?
    Last edited by Gregan; 02-28-2006, 06:09 PM.

My pick would be the mission helium lites....

Comment

They sell some good stuff at Canadian Tire. I saw these ccm street pads for about 100 bucks. Works well.

Comment

You said street, but are you talking asphalt/concrete or sportcourt or a outdoor roller surface?

If you're talking rough asphalt, you won't do better for durability than the Franklin plastic pads. Comfort and knee protection is pretty low however.

I've had experience with the Tour 550 line on a blue roller-surfaced tennis court.. It is pretty cheap, but they'll only last about two-three seasons max. Minimal knee coverage on those too. Gloves are pretty decent for roller though, unless you have some real cannons in the league and then you're going to want to look at the mission stuff.

If you've got a decent surface, for bang for the buck, durability, features (like knee coverage, etc.) Mission Motion/Helium are the way to go for both pads and gloves.

Comment

We play on a painted surface... it's a relatively smooth finish to it. So all in all an ideal surface for goalie gear when compared to most surfaces out there...

Thanks for the ideas so far guys... any other ideas out there?

Comment

I am using the Bauer Vapors from Crappy for our indoor-ball league.

I have been looking for a new set and so far its a toss up between....
            priced from low to high.

CCM PFS 1000
            http://www.247hockey.com/pd_ccm_rgp10_goalie_leg.cfm

CCM RGP10
            http://www.247hockey.com/pd_ccm_rgp10.cfm

Heaton Helite R '04
            http://www.behindthemask.com/html/go...s_helite_r.htm

SherWood GP Cerberus 2 (C2) ( I seen these for $269.99 locally)
            http://www.hockeygalore.ca/SecureSto...6528522.2.html

I have seen the Mission Lights as mentioned if I can get them for under $300 I would because they look and feel real nice. But for ball hockey it might be a bit much. You can get a complete set from 247hockey.com and be done with it they have some good package deals.
            Good Luck.

Comment

Eidolon makes a great point about knee protection on the extreme low-end pads (Franklin, Mylec, Tour). I wore a pair of Mylec street pads while playing some pickup ball hockey in Cambridge, MA. Great rotation on those Mylecs, like 360 degrees of rotation. And landing gear! Sort of like landing a sea plane on gravel, only more abrupt.

My advice, spend a few more buck to protect your knees. Also consider secondary knee pads, like the ones volleyball players or wrestlers wear. Something with gell in it maybe.

And, if the pads don't come with some kind of toe protection, I suggest steel toe construction boots or seriously tough hiking boots. I lost a toe nail wearing sneakers.

If you're looking for a one-stop-shop, I've never bought anything off this site, but they seem to have all of the models previously discussed.

Good luck.

Ryan

Comment

Ry - the Franklin Street Pads (hard plastic) plus a set of skateboard knee pads will do it. The pads have foot protection and the skateboard knee pads can allow you to slide on them when you land in the butterfly.

Use the classic brown Mylecs if you want to get the chicks.

Comment

I'd also hit ebay for full sets of any of the Tour stuff. You might be able to pick them up through some Ebay stores too.

Comment

I've used some of the itech street stuff and it has been fine. Check Itech's site to see it and most sporting goods stores here at least carry it.

Comment

www.247hockey.com sells packages of goalie gear, and they've got a lot of the models listed above. Basic packages include gloves and pads, so it would be easy ordering. Prices look fair to good as well.

MtA

Comment

Thanks for the tips folks!

Comment

Friends:

As I am currently exclusively a ball/street/deck hockey goalie, I have looked into pretty much most, if not all, of what the manufacturers out there make for this type of equipment.

To date, I have found:

Tour makes great street hockey pads and catch gloves. Their new F-14 line is my hands down favorite - 12" wide (as opposed to the GTLs 10") ,deep leg channel to prevent overrotation, extremely light and yet durable (I have the GTL Lexur series, and they have lasted me four years. They are only now beginning to wear through at the inside toes), closed toe design. I would stay away from their blockers, though. Not because of any defect in quality or workmanship. It's just that the blocker gloves are dyed black synthetic leather, and they WILL discolor your hand unless you use an underglove.

Gear makes a line of street hockey pads called the Denial series. They seem to be pretty good, but the width of the pads is only 10", I believe. Their glove and blocker didn't really impress me too much, but the pads come in 35" height, which will appeal to taller goalies and "tweeners" (between a 34" and a 36" pad).

The Mission Motion Lite and Helium Lite series looks and feels really good to me. I have not used these in a game, but would not hesitate to use them, if they had the availability and colors I like.

Itech 4.8 stuff doesn't rock my world. The pads are too shallow in the leg channel for my liking, and the glove/blocker seem just a bit on the heavy side.

The Heaton Helite R series seems like a pretty good line, but, again, the pads tend to overrotate. Glove and blocker seem okay, but not against higher caliber shots.

CCM made some street hockey gear called the PFS line (1000, 2000 and 3000). The thing I liked about their 3000 pads was the thicker material they used for the inner toe area. No way was this stuff gonna wear out quick. Glove and blocker are, once again, fine against low to mid-level shots. Anything higher and expect to feel some stingers. CCM also made the RPG line, which I have little to no exposure to, unfortunately.

Scott Battram has some really good (from what I hear) roller hockey gear, which can be adapted to street, but may be a tad "overqualified", and the price reflects this. Believe me, I'd buy 'em if I could afford 'em. Sadly, they are a bit out of my range. But if money's of little concern, definately look at his stuff.

As far as glove and blockers only, I have found the CCM Blockade Sr. to be among the best out there - glove has a game-ready break right outta the bag, and the blocker is light, strong and comfortable. These two items are on my "to get" list, along with the Tour F-14 pads.

Pants, I can't tell you about, because I don't wear 'em for street hockey, nor do I consider them necessary - Gear makes a roller hockey girdle called the Big Daddy which will keep you safe from 99% of all shots to the thigh and hip areas, and can be worn under roller hockey pants for a less cumbersome feeling.

As for chest protectors, I'd go with the following: Tour GTL or their new Aironic 590 (which may just border on overkill, but you'll feel no pain through it!), CCM Blockade Sr. or Mission Motion Lite or Helium Lite. Most anything else will be a bit too much product for your needs.

And regarding foot protection, I do not recommend steel toed hiking boots, or boots of any kind. Nautilus and New Balance both make steel toed ATHLETIC SHOES (sneakers, if you will), and I highly recommend using these. The Nautilus are on my wish list.

Also, if you buy any of the lower-end (so to speak) pads, do yourself a favor by augmenting them with volleyball kneepads (Franklin makes good ones), or inserting your own knee lifts made from gardener's kneelboards.

However, I have been using Converse Chuck Taylors a half-size up from my regular shoe size. The rubber toe offers adequate protection (and you can fill the extra space in the toe with something to act as a buffer for shots, if you like) and the sole of the shoe gives just enough grip on the rink surface, while still letting you slide to a degree. They are ultra-light and very comfortable, and I swear by 'em.

For masks, well, you can pretty much use whatever you like, from a player's helmet with cage up to the aramid/titanium/adamantium skullbucket of your desire. Just make sure you use something..! Throat protection is another thing. It is wise to use some form of neck protection, be it a lexan dangler, or a ballistic nylon/foam padded half-bib/shirt type protector.

Please keep in mind that I do not work for, or receive any pecuniary recompense from any of the companies I've named herein, nor do I consider myself an expert of any degree. I'm just a guy who has played for several years and done a little research. Your results, needs, style and desires may differ from mine.

I hope this has been of some help to any of you considering street hockey equipment.
                          Last edited by Tominator; 03-04-2006, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Blocker:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...=1141523526251

Catcher:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...=1141523526243

Pads:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...=1141523600716

Chest Protector:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...=1141523600779

Mask:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...=1141523600805

There You go

ps:mask now comes in Blue decals not green
                            Last edited by atiigp; 03-04-2006, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Doesn't Battram make roller stuff? I'm too lazy to check right now, so I wouldn't know...

EDIT: That's not off the shelf, and is expensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X