X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspender holder rivet replacement

I had one of the suspender holder rivet thingies (is there an official term for those?) rust off. What's the method for replacement?

Thanks...

I think there was just a thread about this, but anyway, try a shoe repair store. I went to one and the guy eventually replaced all my riveted buttons.

Comment

Nash sports sells the "thingy", but I'm not sure about the installment. Seems like you'd need a tool.

Comment

Any sewing/fabric store has buttons and the tool to replace the one that fell off. I replaced one on my Vaughn pants a couple of years ago and have had no problems at all.

Comment

I took my son's pants to a shoe repair place near the rink he plays at. They had the buttons/rivets and fixed it in about 15 minutes. Turns out this guy does all the Ducks repairs, and had one of Steve Shield's sets of leg pads in for a repair. Those things were huge! I think they came up to my son's armpits!!

Ask around at the rinks, they'll know a shoe repair place that can do it for you.

Comment

Man, I love that crazy Russian. Steve will know what I am talking about. He is the only other person that I will let do repairs or mods to my equipment. Oh, and he is great with skates too. Only guy I know that can fix the ever occuring problem with roller hockey skates when the soles rip off the boot.

CHUBS

Comment

KDB -

I just sewed on a flat plastic button that I got from an old coat. Lasted several years before I got new pants.

- Tom M.

Comment

Tom - I'm disappointed that I didn't think that...

Still, I'm hung up on having a true suspender button. I just got word on the place that the Kings take their stuff, so I'll check with them.

Thanks all...

Comment

KDB,
                  If you don't mind heading down to OC, you may want to check out the place Steve and I go. Off of the 57 freeway and Ball Rd. Look up Old World Boot Repair. They guy is great, a little odd at times, but a good guy.

CHUBS

Comment

A lot of how you can replace the suspender button depends on the way the pants are constructed. If the old button is visible on both sides of the pant area that it is on, then all you have to do is remove whats left of the old button and go to any fabric store and get "Bachelor Buttons". Then put the post thru the old hole and put the button over the post and then place a wood dowel or something like it over the button and tap it with a hammer until the post is seated. If the hole is ripped or enlarged then you can use a small peice of leather or Clarino as a backing to keep it from pulling through. A lot of the newer pants however, have been putting the suspender buttons only on the outside panel where you have to open the top seam to get at the post side of the button, then its a little more labor intensive to replace the button as the seam has to be opened and then sewn closed again. This style pant usually has the buttons in the middle of the upper kidney protector area and has plastic behind the button.

Comment

"Bachelor Buttons", eh? Sounds solid and easy, both of which are good things. I guess I'm in luck that button is accessible on both sides...

Chubs - Old Boot Repair sounds great, but I've heard good things about Brucker Glove Co. as well, and it's a lot closer to me. (I'm in Culver City, they're near LAX.) Thanks for the tip, though!

Comment

Working...
                      X