Question on Knee Flex

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Knee Flex

I'm ordering my first set of pads in 14 years! I'll be replacing my ancient Koho 580's with a pair of Kenesky Retro pads (with a few structural mods). I have to decide on the level of knee flex that I want, and my options are:

1. Flex
    2. Medium
    3. Stiff
    4. Super Stiff

To be honest, I don't really know what I like. I play a hybrid style, and while I do butterfly a fair amount, I'm far from what you'd call a butterfly goalie - and I certainly don't have a very wide butterfly. I do know that I favor an "old" late-90's, early-2000's pad (you guys know me, I love Brodeur and his gear, etc.)... so I might assume a flex/medium knee is what I'd want. At the same time, I plan on these pads lasting me a long time... at least another 14 years. So should I consider getting something with less flex that will take longer to "break down"? Is that even how this works?

As you can see, I'm in need of some advice. Based off how I've described my style and aesthetic preferences, what do you guys think is the right flex for me, and why? Thanks for your input!
    Providing Professional Hockey Goalie Equipment for over 100 Years. Kenesky, designs by goalies for goalies!
    Last edited by stackem33; 05-22-2017, 08:43 AM.

I don't know much about Kenesky, so no idea about pad breakdown, but newer pads like Bauer Reactor 9000's for me have been very flexible with no breakdown whatsoever. They designed the pad specifically to be this way and I would say the CCM Eflex series is built similarly. Vaughn's will be similar in design today as well where the type of foam used in the core keeps the pads integrity over time while still allowing a lot of flex. All I know is that if your coming from a flexible pad, you will not enjoy playing in a stiff pad, especially the older and less flexible you get. At least this has been my experience. I used to only use stiff pads, now I've found I expend way too much energy trying to move around in them. I now choose comfort over performance...the circle of life for a goalie I suppose. So I would recommend flex, but I would ask about the foam core and what the expected break down would be.

Comment

• stackem33
      stackem33 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks jayluv. I am certainly leaning towards flex (I choose comfort over performance at this point in my career as well), but I want to make sure I'm making the decision for the right reasons, and not just based off a hunch.

Pick what you're used to. As long as you're comfortable and happy with the pads, that's all that matters. Just because Price likes flex, or Rinne likes super stiff doesn't mean you will, or that you'll play better in them. If one option was better, then there wouldn't be any other choices. To each his own.

Comment

• stackem33
      stackem33 commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, I don't care in the slightest what pros use - what I was saying was that I'm not even sure what I have/like!

I would contact Kenesky and ask these questions. Aside from BC30 I don't think many people on here have much experience with these pads. I know the guy running Kenesky now is on the board, he was pretty vocal in their thread.
    Last edited by SaveByRichter35; 05-23-2017, 06:56 AM.

Comment

• stackem33
      stackem33 commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah, I've been talking to him a lot. I just forgot to ask him about knee flex, and I wanted to see if I could get an easy answer here so I wouldn't have to bother him.

Originally posted by steckem33 View Post
    Oh yeah, I've been talking to him a lot. I just forgot to ask him about knee flex, and I wanted to see if I could get an easy answer here so I wouldn't have to bother him.
    PM BC30 then. He has Kenesky pads.

Comment

The obvious question is this: do you like the flex of the 580? Do you even remember what the flex was like when they were new?

I would assume you would want either a medium or stiff, if you are coming from a Lefevre design

Mine are based off the Vaughn V4, with a single break at the knee

I don't really remember picking a specific flex at the break, but we talked a lot about what I liked and didn't like about my last few sets of pads (which were mostly V4's customized for guys other than myself). I'm happy with what I ended up with.

Talk to Mike about your concerns.

Comment

The obvious question is this: do you like the flex of the 580? Do you even remember what the flex was like when they were new?

I would assume you would want either a medium or stiff, if you are coming from a Lefevre design

Mine are based off the Vaughn V4, with a single break at the knee

I don't really remember picking a specific flex at the break, but we talked a lot about what I liked and didn't like about my last few sets of pads (which were mostly V4's customized for guys other than myself). I'm happy with what I ended up with.

Talk to Mike about your concerns.

Comment

Working...
        X