Looking through the mask

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking through the mask

My mask is the CHL style one with the square straight bars on the cage. Everyone I know that uses this style makes looks through the top bar, but when I wear my mask like that it moves up and I can barely see the puck. I look through the middle of the bars and was wondering if it's beneficial to look through the top instead. It's weird but if I don't wear it, looking through the middle, I can't track the puck... What should I try?
    I look through my mask through the middle like in this picture. This is the way I usually see it worn. Wondering if this is the better way.
    Last edited by Backup32; 05-23-2017, 11:54 PM.

IMHO it's the helmet provides better coverage when looking through the top bars. It's also easier to breath because your mouth is at the opening.

Comment

Well if you can't see the puck looking through the top then you probably shouldn't look through the top. Why is this even a question? You answered it yourself.

Comment

I still can't believe that these flawed cages are still around even with almost 20 years of complaining. I never wanted to touch an Itech mask when it came out (mid 90's) because of this and all goalies I've known who had it had troubles with it. That was 20 something years ago and it's still bothers people. Why is it still on the market? How can Itech/Bauer never solved that problem?

Comment

I just bought a Bauer 960XPM and thought I was the only one with this problem. I thought maybe the mask doesn't fit me right. I look through the top when the puck is past my blue line and I'm standing straight up, and then look through the middle when I get in my stance. I freaking hate it, but until I can get a cheater cage I have no choice.

I know that Otny can't ship non-CSA cages in Canada, but does anyone know if they're available if you pick them up? I emailed them but haven't received a response.

Comment

i hate those. My mask fits right but with one of those on I can't see squat. I agree with Chakal. It's a dated and garbage design.

If I HAD to wear one, I'd wear the CSA cat-eye instead.

If you want to buy a cage.......just CALL otny. Or buy one from the states and ship it to Buffalo and pick it up there. LOL

Comment

I wish I could wear cat eye but it's usually not allowed in the leagues I play in. Standing straight up I have no problem, but I stay in a low stance to look around players screening me and I can't look through the top of the mask at all.

Comment

I had an Eddy with the straight bars and I had no problems, I then switched to a fusion 9961 with the pro cat eye and I'll never go back. My fusion is in pretty rough shape so I just picked up a sportmask x8 also with a cat eye, but with the flatbar. I play men's league at canlan and Westwood and no ones ever said anything, not even about the giant dent in the bar that goes under my right eye and is now sitting only 1 inch from my face.

Comment

Surely it's all down to fit? I'd suggest that if you're looking through the mask differently to everyone else then it probably doesn't fit you right.

Comment

Working...
                  X