Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knee pads v Knee Guards

Hey gang,

I'm in the market for knee pads, and was going to get another set of PAW knee pads... then I started looking further into it.

I also saw that PAW makes knee guards, which are more around the knees than the knee and thigh. I also have been looking at the Passau ones as well, since they're considerably wider, which I'm looking for as well.

Does anyone have any experience with the knee guards? Or any comparisons between the two? Coming from the PAW kits to the bigger types, like the Passaus? I keep a pretty open knee cradle now with the XLTs that I'm using now, should that factor.

I think my biggest concern is that the bigger ones would feel awkward and interfere with my pants too.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Frank

I'd go knee pads. The guards don't really protect the bottom or sides of the knee caps well. I used to wear the ones that came with my Bauer RX8's, and had a shot tag me right between 2 conjoining pieces =(

Your XLT's should be able to house almost any knee pad (Guigere had the massive swiss-guard ones). I used to have the gigantic Koho 589 pro swiss knee guards and tried them with the P4's with no issues.

I have the Warrior Ritual X pros, which I find are a good compromise between large and protective

Comment

• pucking_goalie
      pucking_goalie commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you referring to the knee pads that come with the Warrior pads?

After my PAWs wore out, I tried the thigh boards that came with the pads, but they were a disaster and keep pushing my pads all over the place and were constantly fighting my pants too.

I'm thinking that I want something with a bit more bulk to them. I like the PAWs, but I did take a couple of shots that made it through, so I'm looking for an upgrade.

• ruckus007
      ruckus007 commented
      Editing a comment
      No. the Ritual X pros are one step up.

There's always the Vaughn double shield ones and also Brown as well. Never had any issue with my PAW knee pads, but mine are super beefed up and definitely not her standard one. I also have PAW's Luongo style knee pads which I like as well. The beauty of Sara is that she can take the Vaughn or any other pad and beef it up with additional padding - if you get something that catches your eye on clearance, send it to her for beefing up. I have the Passau's as well but need to get them beefed up as the foam has compressed quite a bit over the years (bought in 2012, Gen 1).

Comment

• pucking_goalie
      pucking_goalie commented
      Editing a comment
      I probably would have went with a set of Brown's when I got my new C/a from them, but the shipping costs from CA are BRUTAL!

If your knee craddle is wide enough to use them, consider Koho 589 knee pads. They are massive, but bulletproof.

Comment

• pucking_goalie
      pucking_goalie commented
      Editing a comment
      How have they lasted for you? Some of the reviews lead me to think they start to deteriorate as soon as you get them

• mik
      mik commented
      Editing a comment
      No real problems with them, used little glue on one foam part, but nothing big. But I care of my equipment a lot..

• ruckus007
      ruckus007 commented
      Editing a comment
      There are some design flaws with the Kohos (I had a pair for over a year and a half) but they're easily manageable. The plastic knee cap and foam is laced at the top however I ended up drilling a couple small holes and laced the bottom of the cap as well. I took stick-on velcro and stuck them between the foam and knee cap so they stay together. I also got rid of the factory lace used to "hang" the carbon fiber pieces up and use skate lace. That was it. It took me about 20 minutes and a couple dollars. Never had to touch'em again.

Hi
    I use the PAW knee pads with the Visco Elastic gel option. They have proven to be comfortable and very protective. I also use the belt and suspenders offered by Sara and this arrangement has always kept the knee pads well positioned.
    Hope this helps.
    Warren

Comment

Working...
    X