X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PhaedrusZen
    started a topic Tacki-mac Goalie Grip

Tacki-mac Goalie Grip

Haven't seen anything about these recently, so thought I'd post what I'd done with them and my new stick. I used something similar previously, and like the idea of not having to keep re-taping. Instead of settling for just replacing the top grip, I bought 2 of them, cut the knob off of one, and (after a TON of effort) slid it down on top of the paddle. As a bonus, I used the cut knob to replace a gnarly tape job on the top of my old stick.

The double grip does take a little getting used to, but as I typically only use my stick with my hand on the paddle or fully extended, the grips in both locations facilitates those positions. I find I have to really "throw" my stick from the paddle to the end of the stick when switching grips, but IMO, that's not necessarily a bad thing, as my transition is forced to be quicker.
    Lower stick has 2 Tacki-mac grips, upper stick has the knob that I cut off of the lower grip.

• shadow47
    replied
    Anyone remember the old TPS Rubber? Same idea

Leave a comment:

• XCVII
    replied
    I was big into these when they came out. Unfortunately you never know which ones have been sitting around in a distributor's warehouse forever and which ones are fresh. Sometimes the water-activated "glue" has dried up and you can't get it on the stick. They should have also put in the instructions to NOT get your hands wet, otherwise trying to get it on is near impossible. Overall it's a good product but much easier to tape a knob like that.

Leave a comment:

• SaveByRichter35
    replied
    Originally posted by PhaedrusZen View Post

My other stick was a loaner and had no tape at the paddle. I just felt like the stick spun on me too often when playing the puck one handed. I did add some "slippery tape" to the bottom of the blade before I taped it, in hopes of keeping the edge dry and minimalizing wear through on the heel. We'll see how that works. I also went crazy and scotch guarded the tape, just for kicks, and I'm trying ski wax. So far the tape stays remarkably dry, and no snow build up during play. =) seems to be wearing well too, but I need more sessions to see how it ends up.
    You know I use clear tape on the shaft of my sticks and never thought to put it along the bottome edge of the blade. I always added an extra strip of regular cloth tape along the bottom before taping the blade. Always use wax as well. Next time I tape I will definitely try clear tap on the bottom of the blade instead of cloth.

Leave a comment:

• PhaedrusZen
    replied
    Originally posted by SaveByRichter35 View Post
    I notice a lot of people like to have grip down by the paddle. I guess I am in the minority. Before I even tape the butt end I cover the shaft in clear packing tape. This helps to protect from splinters and it also makes the shaft nice and smooth(I know, that's what she said lol).
    My other stick was a loaner and had no tape at the paddle. I just felt like the stick spun on me too often when playing the puck one handed. I did add some "slippery tape" to the bottom of the blade before I taped it, in hopes of keeping the edge dry and minimalizing wear through on the heel. We'll see how that works. I also went crazy and scotch guarded the tape, just for kicks, and I'm trying ski wax. So far the tape stays remarkably dry, and no snow build up during play. =) seems to be wearing well too, but I need more sessions to see how it ends up.

Leave a comment:

• sebastiancp1
    replied
    I am a big fan of these as well! I find regular tape develops a stickiness to it I'm not crazy about. I just ordered a Russian Grip I'm excited to try out.

Leave a comment:

• SaveByRichter35
    replied
    I notice a lot of people like to have grip down by the paddle. I guess I am in the minority. Before I even tape the butt end I cover the shaft in clear packing tape. This helps to protect from splinters and it also makes the shaft nice and smooth(I know, that's what she said lol).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X