Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with glove. All responses welcomed and appreciated.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with glove. All responses welcomed and appreciated.

Hello all. I need a little help here. The last catch glove I used and actually liked was an old school Brian's Hook (from circa '94 - '95 maybe. Yeah 1995! Please don't laugh!). Obviously, it's beat to death and beyond saving. I bought a Bauer One.9 about a year ago and have hated it ever since. No matter what I do, I can't get used to it. I want to like it, but I hate it. My question is, does anyone have any idea of any "modern" gloves that are closer to the Brian's glove I had 20 years ago? I think my Bauer is a 60 degree glove, and like I said, I hate it. I have no idea what the break/degrees would be on my old Brian's (hell, they didn't sell gloves by degrees back then), so I don't even have a starting point to start looking for something made today to replace my Bauer but that resembles my old Brian's. I need to buy off the rack ( no custom or special order, if we can help it). If anyone has any ideas, opinions, suggestions, or information, I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks so much, everyone!

Damn there was a Brian's demon at my local PIAS last week. Cheap and in good shape.

Guys/Gals, What's the name of that pro shop that has a lot of old 90s gear still new.
    Last edited by Mike24; 12-28-2016, 09:58 PM. Reason: Added more

Comment

Thanks mike24. I newer old gear might be a good way to go too, but I was really hoping to find something new/modern that is similar (or as similar as it can be) to my old glove.

Comment

Hi Meats33! I am a fan of Brian's gear and I wore that same glove during my bantam/midget years, Brian's subzero 3 line has an option to have the Anchor T Pocket put in its modern gloves to give that same feel the hook series had, I've tested the glove and found the feel to be quite similar.

Some pro shops ie United cycle here in Edmonton for intstance had a few gloves shipped to sell off the floor.
        Last edited by RoboSabs; 12-28-2016, 11:05 PM.

Comment

I don't know which company has a current model glove that'd be the same as the glove you're talking about. To my understanding, many gloves made at or around that time had those 90 degree angles and those aren't in style or popular anymore.

However I do know that Vaughn has kept ALL their dyes for all the Velocity, Epic, Ventus gloves they've made in the last 10 or so years. They've definitely got something you'd like. Trouble is getting to feel all of them.

Comment

You might not be able to replicate the feel of your old glove; however- by having Factory Mad rework it, you might be able to atleast have it close easier and more effortless. He takes it apart, mods (or replaces) the T to become a floating T pocket, and gives it a new skate lace pocket. It may not solve everything, but it can't hurt. He took my formerly worthless Warrior Messiah glove and made it useful.

Comment

I know you don't want to wait, but d strongly consider the Passau 60 degree glove. It is phenomenal. I have the double T version with skatelace. I've had 90 and 60 degree gloves before and I've tried on the new (and old) models from Brian's, Vaughn, and ccm. Very satisfied with the Passau and you can likely get one in a month to two months with your colors. Thing catches everything and feels completely natural

Comment

Hi
                I converted from a Brian's Hook to a 2007 or so Smith, the larger type, no longer approved, with few issues - very protective and in my view a bit more manageable than the Hook.
                Hope this helps.
                Warren

Comment

I would urge you to have a look at the TPS gloves currently made by Dave Wilcox (former lead designer for TPS and Sherwood). The guy built and designed gear for Hasek, Lundy to name a few... he's phenomenal to work with and makes top notch stuff.

Comment

If you still have your old Brian's hanging around, maybe you could see how much Sarah @ PAW would charge to refurbish it. She does great work. So does Jason at Terio custom goalie ( but I don't think he's accepting new work yet).

Comment

Working...
                    X