Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Bauer sticks the only ones with interesting paddle shapes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Bauer sticks the only ones with interesting paddle shapes?

I play inline hockey, and I really like the flat-faced paddle on my Bauer sticks, especially the one that cants forward a little. Maybe it's my fat-old-guy technique, but I used to get a lot of shots deflecting up and in over my shoulder when I was paddle-down. (It's a lot harder to go side-to-side on dry land, so I use the paddle down a lot.) I really like the lighter composites over sticks with wood in them, especially with the lighter, harder pucks that we use.

​It's time to get a new stick and I've been doing some shopping online (it's a few hundred miles to the nearest hockey store that isn't a Big 5.) Hockey equipment, especially goalie equipment, is really poorly depicted online, and the pictures don't really show you anything but the color scheme (which IMO is the least important factor in my decision.)

​Do any other sticks have flat or concave paddle faces, or other interesting non-standard shapes?

What's the difference between the new "ergo +" Bauer paddle geometry and the regular "ergonomic" paddle geometry?

​Also, I seem to take a lot of pucks off my paddle just below my blocker (the non-concave part,) and that area is starting to break apart at the seam. I see a lot of stick descriptions say the have reinforced some parts of the paddle, but it's totally not clear whether this part of the stick is common to wear, or if it's just me. Most of the other goalies I play with use random hand-me-down equipment, so I don't get to see much variety around the rink.

I picked up a Bauer One.5 at Dick's last spring on clearance. I've used all other sticks in the past. This was my first 'interesting paddle shape' stick. I laughed at them before and called them mean names.

I love it. Highly recommended for us old guys. Plus you look like all the hip kids with a modern stick.

I've never seen another flat faced paddle. NikeBauer when around still, created this design I think. So it's not new.

I have a review in the review thread. I've been meaning to update it. I play about 2x a week and the stick is doing really well.

Other odd shaped sticks?

Curtis Curve is legendary - but round paddle still:

Eagle also made the trigger(beak) paddle - but still round faced:

Comment

• old G
      old G commented
      Editing a comment
      I am still using the Eagle Curtis Curve with the beak open toe curve and I love it. Sadly it on its last couple of games. The tape will no longer hold it together.
      Anyone know where I can find any more Curtis Curve sticks 24" paddle?

• sum1els
      sum1els commented
      Editing a comment
      I tried the curve when it came out, but couldn't move my hand around on the shaft effectively when playing the puck.

The ergo is supposed to help seal against your body:

Think it's more back side of paddle shape.

Read this link. Nice review and pictures of the sticks.

http://goal.thehockeyshop.com/bauer-...sticks-review/
    Last edited by MTH; 12-16-2016, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• sum1els
      sum1els commented
      Editing a comment
      OK, so it sounds like all of the "ergonomic" paddles from Bauer are really the same shape then. I have the 2012(?) One90, and I love the paddle shape. It sounds like this year the sticks are all even lighter and stronger than mine, but with the same shape. Thanks guys!

Passau Customs have all sorts of options... including grips

Comment

For Curtis Curves - I think you'll have to go through Heritage sticks in Canada. If they're still around. Maybe Passau as they make custom sticks too.

Comment

• old G
        old G commented
        Editing a comment
        Too much trouble. I have an idea to make a shaft that could be inserted into a cut down stick. A Curtis Curve shaft. It's just in the idea stage.
        Will it work???? I will need to try this out.
    Working...
    X