Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mask Paint Technical Specs

Hi All,

I am trying to find out some technical specifications and brands for the types of paints and clear coats that are being used on goalie masks. I searched the forum but couldn't find a specific thread on this. If anyone can point me in the right direction or can recommend paint systems they use that would be much appreciated.

Neil

Popular brands of automotive paint used are BASF, R-M Carizzma, House of Kolor, PPG, and DuPont. They all make clear coats as well. Createx Auto-Air is probably the most popular water-based airbrush paint for masks, helmets, etc.

Tech specs can be found on the manufacturers websites. Keep in mind that tech specs tend to be written with overall refinishing (cars) in mind, so you'll have to tweak what they say. For example, most will tell you for solvent-based paint to thin it by 2:1 (2 parts paint to 1 part reducer). You have to reduce the paint much more than that for airbrush work. I'll often reduce 1:1 or even 1:2, depending on which airbrush I'm using.

Comment

http://www.repaintsupply.com/aerosol...sol-p3685.html

For clear coat in a can, you can't beat this stuff. Also comes in a matte finish.

I assume technical specs can be found

Comment

Thank you Parebele and bc30. This is the type of into I am looking for. Parebele, do you mind if I pm you with some more specific paint related questions?

Comment

• parebele
          parebele commented
          Editing a comment
          Your welcome. Go ahead with any questions, I'll answer as best I can. I've been using urethane paint to airbrush for about 22 years and paint cars for a living, so hopefully I can be of some help.

I've been a professional airbrush artist for the past 17+ years and use mostly House of Kolors but occasionally mix in some dupont chromabase if I have to match a color exactly. Remember, prep is the key. You can have the strongest clear and the best paint in the world but if you don't prep the mask, helmet, motorcycle, car...whatever.. properly, you'll run into issues.

edit: also the waterbased paint has come a long way in the past 20 years. the new autoair/wicked/createx has come a long way. The new autoair candy2O looks really good. I haven't had a chance to mess around with it, but most artists I know really like it.

another edit: www.coastairbrush.com Dave (the owner) is a wealth of information
        Last edited by LukeD5; 12-06-2016, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks LukeD5, in terms of prep I have a base painted mask that I intended to sand down to a uniform finish so as to allow the additional coats to adhere. Anything else I should consider during this process?

Comment

Does the mask have clear on it right now or is it base coat paint? A good rule of thumb for painting over clear is scuff enough to kill the shine. That usually means you have enough tooth for additional coats of paint/clear to stick. I usually use 600 grit wetsand paper and/or a red scotch-brite pad.

Comment

yup, what parebele said. just make sure you use a good wax/grease remover, compressed air and a tack rag after sanding so that you have all the dust out from every edge and tight spot. keep it clean and keep your fingers off it

Comment

You guys are awesome! Thanks so much for all the advice. The mask does have a clear coat on it. It also has some small dents in the paint. Do you guys use a filler or anything to level those off?

Comment

Ya, what they all said.

As far as the clear coat goes, the 2k (toughest) is quite toxic. If you don't have the proper filtered mask and area to spray it, you probably shouldn't. What I do is take my mask to a local body shop. They charge me 30$CDN to clear coat it when they're doing car parts. Pretty tough to beat, especially since the can of 2k clear coat is 18$US+shipping.

You can use the generic clear coats found in most car part places, but I find it a little soft.

If you feel the need to sand the clear coat, then wet sand with 1500 or 2000 grit sand paper and use car compound and wax to bring out the mirror like shine.

Comment

Working...
                  X