Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broken skate blade ever happen to you?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Broken skate blade ever happen to you?

    Hey guys, I broke my skate blade 2-3 months ago on my Bauer 3000's, i was just wondering, has this ever happened to any of you?

    I have since replaced the cowlings on both, so, they are pretty much a new skate, but, i was wondering, this can't be common, is it?

  • #2
    i havenīt heard of this happen to any other goalies, deffenitly not to me.. but a player in my team has broken 5 skate blades just in this season but i think that itīs 'cus the blades on the vapor xx sketes have some f'cking holes in 'em to make 'em lighter.. how did u manage to brake uīre blade, i mean it didnīt just happen while u skated right??

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by swede_goalie
      i havenīt heard of this happen to any other goalies, deffenitly not to me.. but a player in my team has broken 5 skate blades just in this season but i think that itīs 'cus the blades on the vapor xx sketes have some f'cking holes in 'em to make 'em lighter.. how did u manage to brake uīre blade, i mean it didnīt just happen while u skated right??
      well, i wasnt playing a game, or taking shots, thats the thing. I have no idea how it happend, and i have never heard of it happening on a goalie skate, because the blade is twice as thick at least.

      And as strange as it may seem, it broke when i was working at a hockey school over the summer, not taking any shots at all.

      At least i got it fixed for free

      Comment


      • #4
        then i think it must have been som crack (it could mean somethinelse but it was the only word i could come up with, afterall iīm a swede ) in it before it broke...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by swede_goalie
          then i think it must have been som crack (it could mean somethinelse but it was the only word i could come up with, afterall iīm a swede ) in it before it broke...
          no crack what soever, and i get of the ice, and theres a big bad crack through the blade, messed up stuff.

          Comment


          • #6
            Probably just a poor grade of steel used when they were made. My bud broke a blade last year just skating around as well.

            Comment


            • #7
              I know some guys that do Ice Dance in Graf hockey skates. A couple of them have broken skate blades while doing lifts. *



              *I'll just let this ride and fend off the snide remarks later.

              Comment


              • #8
                Broken skate blade

                I did have a goalie skate blade break. It was on a very old style of skate, but it was also many years ago when the skate was the best available.

                It was a CCM skate. The style with a plastic sole and a thick leather cowling wraped around for protection. The shot was not overly hard, but it must have hit just the right spot as the blade snapped at the center point.

                The skates were quite new at the time, and had been sharpened only a few times. The replacement blade was easily ground down to match the existing one.
                Last edited by masksbyoldbear; 12-06-2004, 09:43 AM. Reason: spelling error

                Comment


                • #9
                  The main reason skate blades break is because they are overheated by bad skate sharpeners. Overheating changes the structure of the steel and makes it brittle. This occurs more common with player skates, as their blades are made of stainless steel which breaks much easier than the carbon steel goal skates are made out of. I've replaced thousands of steel blades, but never a goal blade, very rare one of these breaks.

                  Most blades are burned when you get that "free" sharpening with your skate purchase. They got your money, so they rush and use heavy pressure to "burn" your hollow in quick.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Bauer has had a ton of problems with their steel, especially with the Lightspeed Holder thats on the Vapor XX, XV and Supreme 6000 and 8000. One problem that I think it is, they dont temper the steel correctly. This is can deplete the steel of its strong structure. Another problem is the holder is mounted wrong, it bends the toe of the blade.

                    Ive seen a few problems with the steel on the goal skates cracking. If its been within a year it should easily be covered under warranty. You just need to find a shop who stocks it and will replace it. Some shops dont like dealing with warranties, just for the fact it takes a while for Bauer to give them a credit or replace the used product.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JWUGoalie
                      Bauer has had a ton of problems with their steel, especially with the Lightspeed Holder thats on the Vapor XX, XV and Supreme 6000 and 8000. One problem that I think it is, they dont temper the steel correctly. This is can deplete the steel of its strong structure. Another problem is the holder is mounted wrong, it bends the toe of the blade.
                      Right you may be JWU, rumor has it the steel will be changed in all Bauer upper end skates for '05 due to poor quality.

                      Now as to breaking a goalie blade, happened to me once. For the experienced among us, you may remember a Philly Flyer named "Cowboy Bill Flett" (Phlett?, I've got CRS, I'm, old ) of the Broad Street Bully era broke my blade in a charity game. He took a slapper about 1/2" off the ice from the blueline, I set up and made a classic old school skate save, promptly falling on my arse.

                      I looked down to see the blade broke clean through, including one of the raised steel portions that took up space berween the boot cowling and actual blade. This was before blade holders were available on goalie skates.

                      My brush with an Nhler, and a broken blade. Thanks for listening...

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X