Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I re-attach the suspender button on pants?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I re-attach the suspender button on pants?

I have a pair of Brian's Altramax pants and one of the buttons that holds the suspender strap has come out. I still have the button, but it looks like the hole where it is supposed to go is a little bit bigger than it should be to hold the button in.

How can I fix it so that it will not come out again?

I know we did a thread on this, but the search engine has been twitchy.

Here's how I fixed mine after both buttons on the front popped off. Punch a hole all the way through with a small diameter phillips screwdriver. Then use a shoelace to tie the suspender buttonholes onto the pants. Go around a couple times and tie it off.

I have this on the front for both sets of buttons that fell off, but I am notoriously cheap, and wear my stuff until it falls apart.

Comment

suspender buttons

As mentioned, once the buttons fall off, it is best to simply use a lace to attach the suspenders.

Comment

Thanks Botts and MBOB. My bad, I did totally forget about the search thing, it's just that I have been super busy at work these days, although my time spent on my Battram C/A review does not support that claim , so I had to make this quick post before I forgot. I just found out about the broken button last night as I was getting ready to play.

So it looks like I am leaning towards drilling a hole completely through and putting some kind of anchor on the other side, maybe get some kind of nut & bolt contraption at Home Depot, to hold the suspender loop.

Thanks again guys.

Comment

You could go to one of the stores to have it properly done. I had the same thing happen to me 1 month ago and got it fixed for $3.50. Here's the place. look under repair services page 3

http://www.thehockeyshop.net/frames_all.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Sweedwing
            You could go to one of the stores to have it properly done. I had the same thing happen to me 1 month ago and got it fixed for $3.50. Here's the place. look under repair services page 3

http://www.thehockeyshop.net/frames_all.htm
            I wonder if they would still charge $3.00 in my case. I am not sure what the seam is, but the hole where the button goes appears to have widened when the button with its 'washer' came out. The material around the hole looks kind of frayed, so the button will just keep coming out if I use the same button and washer.

Comment

Worst they would charge is $8.00 which is still a small price to pay to having it done properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweedwing
                Worst they would charge is $8.00 which is still a small price to pay to having it done properly.
                I had the same problem with a button on my bauer pants. My dad took it somewhere and got it "fixed right" the buttons they use keep coming apart though it looks like the two pieces are pressed together, but they don't stay. Not sure what i will do next. They did a good job, the "piece" is just not quality.

Comment

Another solution to this problem

I took a look at my Altramax pants again to see how I would drill the hole completely through to install a new anchor and button. With so little free time (as a family guy), I needed to explore other solutions.

I was so happy when I noticed the loop on the pants that are there for holding the belt straps. I simply used these loops as the anchor to which I would tie my suspender straps to. I used a short skate lace and looped it a couple of times through the suspender loops and the pant strap loop. I think this should hold up pretty well because those loops on the pants should be sewn in pretty well. Here is a picture of the pants with the loops. The belt strap loop is just below the suspender buttons.

http://www.thehockeyshop.net/2002/im...s_altramax.jpg

So with this new simple solution, I am happy that I didn't have to take time away from the wife and kids to get this problem fixed. However, I do thank Botts, MBOB and Speed for the other great ideas provided above.

Comment

You can buy simple two-piece no-sew replacement buttons at pretty much any fabric store. I forget what they're called hey're like "bachelor buttons", but larger.

Comment

Originally posted by KDB
                      You can buy simple two-piece no-sew replacement buttons at pretty much any fabric store. I forget what they're called hey're like "bachelor buttons", but larger.
                      I did just that. They were called Jean Buttons. I think they may also be called Bachelor Buttons, just a different size Bachelor Button. There are, however, a couple of important issues to be aware of;
                      1. You have to go to a craft/fabric store and buy something that comes in frilly pastel colored packaging.
                      2. The only one I found were mostly plastic (with a metal front). Unlike the original metal buttons on goalie pants.
                      Issue number one is counter balanced by the fact that you install them with a hammer, thus restoring any manliness lost in the craft store.

Issue two has not been an issue so far. Plastic can be pretty durable and mine are holding up fine. Plus they are cheap, come six in a package, and you get to break out the hammer again if they break.

Comment

Working...
                      X