X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why????

Why do some people choose mages over masks. Why do people buy a mage from sportmask rather than a mask???
    Im just curius because i have no idea why a MAGE

Ventilation and communication with d-men are far better then a mask...they're also lighter....that's why
    -Matt.

Comment

I considered a Mage because they seemed more affordable than some other custom set ups. I ended up not getting a Mage in the end, but see no reason to question their viability.

Comment

I drink Pepsi b/c Britney Spears drink pepsi. That's why.

Comment

Re: Why????

Originally posted by NeoThe1
          Why do some people choose mages over masks. Why do people buy a mage from sportmask rather than a mask???
          Im just curius because i have no idea why a MAGE
          My question is why would anyone want a backplate and insuffcient protection for the back of the head?

Comment

Why???

Why do people make impenetrable thread titles?

A better title for this thread might have been "Why choose cage instead of mask?"

Don't make me get out my clue stick.

Comment

Mage wearer

The reason I bought a Mage is because I used to be a combo (Cooper/Bauer SK2000/HM-30) wearer. It was ok for ball hockey but I wanted something safer. I bought a ******* PM-1000 which I wore for a couple of years but I was never comfortable in it. During that time I researched my options. It started when Glenn Healy was with the Leafs and had a Fiberglass Carbon composite SK2000 clone helmet custom made for him. Hasek began wearing one too when he was still with Buffalo. I never found out who built them, though at the time I thought it was Mission. I have also heard that it was Stealth(?). Anyway, a board member was looking into getting an SK2000 clone designed by Sportmask. It sounded like a great idea so I emailed to express my interest. Eventually pictures of Tony Priolo's prototype helmet were posted and I was anxious to order one. It turned out that at the same time Tony was working with Tim Thomas on the Mage design. Some disappointment was expressed about the helmet being shelved in favour of the Mage but I decided to give the Mage a try. I am glad I did because the Mage is the best of both worlds. The impact protection and fit of a mask and the openness of a combo.
              Last edited by Mitch92; 11-22-2003, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Re: Mage wearer

Originally posted by Mitch92
                The reason I bought a Mage is because I used to be a combo (Cooper/Bauer SK2000/HM-30) wearer. ..... I am glad I did because the Mage is the best of both worlds. The impact protection and fit of a mask and the openness of a combo.
                That is exactly what I was going to say.

Comment

Re: Re: Why????

Originally posted by FRAM
                  My question is why would anyone want a backplate and insuffcient protection for the back of the head?
                  I doubt this is true. I have a backplate, and was down covering a puck when a skater with a grudge to settle gave me an overhand 2 handed slash on the backplate. It didn't really hurt at all.

Comment

First, I agree with Timber, a more descriptive title next time please.

I chose a mage because it has: Better sightlines, it is lighter, it is cooler, I can communicate better, I think since I tend to get hit in the chin area alot, it is better to protect it with steel. Even if I turned away (which I don't, but ...stuff happens) my ears are protected by steel before the puck could even get to the firbeglass, thus I think it is a safer choice than a mask.
                    I totally love my Mage!!!!!

My question (If I were to question other peoples choices) would be: since the Mage protects all the same areas as a mask but has all of the aformentioned advantages, Why choose a mask?

Of course it all comes down to personal preferences. Chose what protects and works for you.

Comment

i wear a mask because it hides a bit more of my ugly face... think it's about time to ordering one of Tony's vintage masks...

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Why????

Originally posted by BilldaCat
                        I doubt this is true. I have a backplate, and was down covering a puck when a skater with a grudge to settle gave me an overhand 2 handed slash on the backplate. It didn't really hurt at all.
                        Also, why would any sensible goalie have his head facing away from the puck for an length of time long enough to get hit with a shot? It just doesn't happen.

~CJ

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why????

Originally posted by Goalie33Avs
                          Also, why would any sensible goalie have his head facing away from the puck for an length of time long enough to get hit with a shot? It just doesn't happen.

~CJ
                          Nobody deflects the puck in your league, eh?

Comment

i have both a face mask and a mage.

i lean towards a mage .. for all the points above.

i am torn between the cheater cage on my mask and the cat eye on the mage..

i do use the all the time during the summer months ..

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why????

Originally posted by Goalie33Avs

~CJ
                              I am not worried about shots to the back of the head. (I am not too much into playing Haseks style )

I get a lot of traffic in front of me and into me. When I butterfly the back of my head is above the crossbar and it is not uncommon for the back of my head to be bouncing off the crossbar when being crashed into when the play is in tight.

I have also been knocked backwards and fell down and hit my head on the after being crosschecked in the face as an opposing player was falling into me. The bloody bastard bent my 267 cage in the process!

It is good to hear the backplates offer the protection I thought was not there.
                              Last edited by FRAM; 11-24-2003, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X