Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goalie Pads for Narrow Butterfly

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy new pads in the next few months. I'm currently using Rbk 6k 34", which are too small for me. My ATK is 18 and i'm 6'0 tall.

I recently had FAI surgery, so my Internal Hip rotation is only like 10-15 degrees. Can anyone recommend a flexible pad?

P.S I mostly play inline and price range is 500-1000

Thanks in Advance!

I would suggest these pads:

Bauer Re-Flex RX8 Sr. Goalie Leg Pads

My friend has a pair, and they are both light and flexible, which I think is very appropriate for inline, but can be used for ice as well. (She played both inline and ice in this pad, and loves it. I tried them on for one ice time and loved them as well)

I'm not sure of your size, as I am nowhere near 6' tall, but you can get either the 35" and move the knee cradle up or get the 37" and move the knee cradle down. The whole knee area is adjustable via velcro. You should get the size that will fit, and if you fall in the 36" range, you should decide if you want more or less thighrise after you adjust the pads.

Good luck, I think you'll like these pads.

(Also, if you want to spend a bit more, the RX10s are on goalie monkey's site as well, but for the price, I think these are a great buy)

If you're not a fan, look for another non-reebok pad with a double break. Vaughns are also flexible when they have a double break.

Comment

Soft flexy pads

Rollr is right. You are looking for a pad that is soft and flexy. Either mid-level ice or Pro level used pair from eBay, Craiglist, local play-it-again store.

Bauer rx8
      Vaughn velo 2,3,4,5 series
      Used Battram
      Simmons/Boddam

You definitely do NOT have to buy new. Unless you want to. Loads of pads out there.

Good luck!

Comment

probably any softer pad with a double break will do. The Simmons UL line would be a good choice. Im sure you can find a used pair cheap in good shape.

Comment

I have a set of RX8's and love them. They are nice and soft brand new and only feel better once used a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by ea187 View Post
            I have a set of RX8's and love them. They are nice and soft brand new and only feel better once used a bit.
            I tried on a pair, but they kept slipping down my leg. The only way to secure them was to tighten the boot strap super tight. Did you experience this?

Comment

Originally posted by Defiantt View Post
              I tried on a pair, but they kept slipping down my leg. The only way to secure them was to tighten the boot strap super tight. Did you experience this?
              If your toe ties are secure and not too long, then I don't understand how this could happen.

And I don't feel there are pads made for a narrow b-fly. Any pad will do, as long as you have a double break and break in the flex point really well..

Comment

I too have a narrow fly. I had a pair of RX8s good pad. But I agree with Rich. Look for double break pads.

Comment

Never had this issue, I wear all my straps pretty loose and run the boot strap through the rear cowl and don't have much slack in my tie ties.

Comment

I too am 6'0 tall but my ATK is about 17.

I too have a bit of hip issues (no surgery though) but I have a narrow fly and play more hybrid instead.

I have a set of 35+1 Bauer RX8's. Very well made pads. Very adjustable from the knee lock to straps and even calf wrap.

I would recommend them to anyone in your situation. Given that they're discontinued, you may find some with a very good price point.

Bauer Re-Flex RX8 Vintage Sr. Goalie Leg Pads

Bauer Re-Flex RX8 LE Sr. Goalie Leg Pads

Bauer Re-Flex RX8 Sr. Goalie Leg Pads

other options to consider are the new replacement pads for RX's - the new Reactors. I've tried them on. flexible and comfortable. Double break pads. You can get the variant with the MyFlex system to make them even softer if you like.

I would stay away from RBK's, CCM and warriors. They're all pretty stiff and usually only have 1 break at knee. Vaugns will be good for you as well.

Comment

Maybe I'm an oddball, but I found my single break Vaughns close up my 5 hole better than my prior double break Vaughns. Maybe I just strap them different or something?!

Comment

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy new pads in the next few months. I'm currently using Rbk 6k 34", which are too small for me. My ATK is 18 and i'm 6'0 tall.

I recently had FAI surgery, so my Internal Hip rotation is only like 10-15 degrees. Can anyone recommend a flexible pad?

P.S I mostly play inline and price range is 500-1000

Thanks in Advance!
                        I had FAI and surgery for it on both hips. I have a pretty narrow butterfly as well. I really like the Warrior Rituals I ordered with the double break when I was laid up. I used to have RX8's and my Rituals blow them out of the water. I felt like a whole new goalie. Fresh hips and new pads that felt great! I got the custom pro's so I'm not too familiar with the Pro version, but I heard they're nice too and I think in the price range you're looking at.

Comment

it could be. Also could be the internal breaks on the pad.

One good thing about the RX8's is that you can add a strap for the thighrise to help close the 5hole. Which I extensively use.

Comment

Originally posted by ruckus007 View Post
                            One good thing about the RX8's is that you can add a strap for the thighrise to help close the 5hole. Which I extensively use.
                            Haha, so do I, otherwise it's like a funnel.

Comment

Originally posted by pants View Post
                              I had FAI and surgery for it on both hips. I have a pretty narrow butterfly as well. I really like the Warrior Rituals I ordered with the double break when I was laid up. I used to have RX8's and my Rituals blow them out of the water. I felt like a whole new goalie. Fresh hips and new pads that felt great! I got the custom pro's so I'm not too familiar with the Pro version, but I heard they're nice too and I think in the price range you're looking at.

That's the problem with the OP I think: His budget won't allow for pro-level or custom gear. at $500-1000. there's a big restriction to what he can get.

Comment

Working...
                              X