X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kinda helmet is this ?

This may seem stupid but what kinda helmet is this, NOT THE CAGE !!!!!!

That helmet is a Cooper SK2000. It doesn't have the side clips that it came with and looks like it's been repainted.

Dave

Comment

Nope. That is an old Winwell. Pre-cooper days. But it is the predecessor to the SK2000

Comment

Thanks but I think it's a SK 2000.
        Loke at the comparisme with the picture here.

Comment

Sloth,

What makes you think that it's a Winnwell? the two helmets were identical, and as far as I know Cooper was around before Winnwell. I used to have a few SK2000's while growing up in Toronto, and I only saw Messier wear a Winnwell and that was many years after seeing the SK2000.

Dave

Comment

I stand corrected. It does appear to be an old school SK2000. There was a winwell back in the day, I believe Lanny MacDonald used to use it that looked like the SK2000, before they were popular. I could just be deluded.

Comment

You guys are ALL WRONG!!! It is obviously a JOFA!

Okay.....maybe not.

Didn't Lanny wear a Stan Mikita style helmet? For the love of god I cannot remember the brand!!!

Again...too much coffee today....that and the the fact that I am very IMPATIENTLY awaiting the arrival of my Bionic trapper....T-minus 6 days until completion.......ugh.

t.i.g.
              Last edited by the iron goalie; 06-14-2002, 10:47 AM.

Comment

That could also be the SK1000 (not sure on that model #). This helmet was identical to the SK2000, but was manu'd without those hard to find, easy to break side pieces.

Comment

Northland. Stan Mikita wore a Northland helmet. Therapy is working........

Comment

The helmet is an SK2000 w/ the side clips removed. The SK2500 was the same helmet w/o the clips but has a wierd plastic spacer of some sort.

the original helmet design was WinnWell's from the late 70's - It became popular so quickly they couldn't meet demand and the design was sold to Cooper.

Mark Messier (much like Irbe, eh?) wore only the old WinnWell's up until the last season or 2. The WinnWell had an odd protrusion on the temple guard that fit their specific cage and had no holes on the forehead for cage mounting.

The Mikita helmet was an original design for Mikita that had an extremely heavy suspension system like a late 60's football helmet. The shell design was sold to Northland who lined them w/ foam such as the sk600 type which was much lighter

Lanny McDonald wore a Mikita type helmet but I don't know which version.

more useless knowledge
                    BC

Comment

Does anyone know where I can get that cage? I have a brand new Cooper SK2500 sitting around without a cage.

Comment

Hey bc',
                        Great memory. I think that original "salad bowl" helmet Stan wore was a Lange.
                        Cheers,
                        leebo

Comment

I forgot about the Lange version - I think that was in between the original Mikita and the Northland.

My real problem is that I'm old enough to remember the originals.

BC

Comment

Originally posted by bc30

the original helmet design was WinnWell's from the late 70's - It became popular so quickly they couldn't meet demand and the design was sold to Cooper.
                            BC
                            Are you positive on this? I was told by a Cooper equipment rep at the time that the WinnWells were made for them by Cooper, in a kind of private label type of deal.

Comment

Why would Cooper manufacture the only decent helmet design they had and put someone else's name on it?

When I bought my WinnWell in the 70's Cooper wasn't making them so from my memory, yes I'm sure. At that time virtually everyone was wearing either a CCM or an ugly helmet. Cooper was making their salad bowl, the SK300, and thier box helmet, the SK600.

CCM had no competition in the looks department until the WinnWell. I think they were caught by surprise the design would be popular. For a couple years, both SK2000's and WinnWells were on the market then the WinnWell's were gone. Actually, all WinnWell equipment was pretty much extinct at that time. They may have sold the design to raise capital to keep the rest of the company afloat.

The reason Messier had to paint his helmets is he always wore the older style WinnWell - The padding was very different than the Cooper version. In those days there were no navy blue helmets, and also I'm sure Mess would take any color WinnWell he could get.

BC

Comment

Working...
                              X